why do they not make wooden wakeboard boats?

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by adamstark, Mar 16, 2009.

1. adamstark

adamstark New Member

would the maintenance be very time consuming? whats the reasons?

2. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

Wood boat builders are a small group and mostly build for themselves. Wake board boats are a very small market. I still feel that an after market plow that can easily be attached to a planing hull and made like a trim tab to lift up out of the water is the way to go.

3. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

As a wooden boatbuilder I make a living making boats for others. So do thousands boatbuilders throughout the world. If you are willing to pay for a wooden boat, I or one of the others will be happy to oblige you.

4. adamstark

adamstark New Member

im only 23 cant afford it, and i wakeboard, i see youre from milwaukee, im from lake geneva area. burlington to be exact.

but lately i've been trying to figure out what i want to do as my career. and theres nothing i love more than boating. so i've been thinking about what to do and what school to attend to design/build boats. however the economy is horrible and im not making money to get back in school so i dont know what to do with myself right now unfortunately.

5. adamstark

adamstark New Member

so anyways...i was thinking about getting into wood boat building, i like the concept and looks of them. do you have any recommendations for me gonzo?

6. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

If you have no experience with boatbuilding, one of the several schools is a good option. I had the fortune of aprenticing, but that option is very hard to come by nowadays. Also, not too many people are willing to work in exchange of learning a trade. We had a school in Milwaukee which unfortunately closed a couple of years ago. Another thing to consider is that there are few customers for those boats and they usually want to buy from established builders. There are still several custom and semi-custom builders in North Carolina. I worked there for years and it is, to my knowledge, the most active area in North America for wooden construction. It is worth the try to contact them for a job.

7. adrianobr21

adrianobr21 New Member

hi i am from brazil and new in this forum,i am crazy about a wakeboard boat,but i have to design and do muy i own i now that some of you will say that probably best buy one,but in brazil a used malibu or watercraft boat is the same price of a new ferrari or lamborghini ,and we dont have any national manufacture ,i need the help and of your knowhall for do a 18-20 ft v drive with a deep hull with capacity to until 9 passanger the boat will be power buy a v6 or v8 with a little more than 300 hp please i really need of some help any help will be good thanks

8. Jango

Jango Senior Enthusiast

Adrianobr21, take a look at Glen-L.com

9. adrianobr21

adrianobr21 New Member

hi jango,tanks for the help,i already new his site i have some magazine boat plans too but i dont know what plans is the beast and i dont have anyone that is in this specification,deepv hull ,v drive wfor 10 people if you have any plans or something like that i am gleed with your help thanks man

10. Carteret

Carteret Senior Member

Gonzo is correct. From Wanchese to Beaufort, Marshallberg to Harkers Island and many other locations. North Carolina is very active in wooden boat building.

11. Oyster

Oyster Senior Member

These days its a crap shoot for wooden boat sales. Builders along the banks and barrier islands have really taken a hit with the economic situation. Lots of skill workers from several generations of builders are really suffering. There are some at the high end and still caters to the affluent. Check out this group . They have an apprentise program.
    They are in Wisconsin.
    http://www.vandamboats.com/

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.