Fiberglass Layup method

Discussion in 'Materials' started by Fanie, Oct 3, 2014.

1. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Another one.

Which is better -

To make a layup using roving strands, or is it better to buy uni glass mat and use that instead ?

If I do use roving stands, which method is better, to vacuum infuse the layered up part, or is it better to pre-wet the strands while layering them up ?

The roving strands are going to be cheaper, and the machine will do most of the work. I'll have to change the software a bit but it's not going to be that hard to do.

2. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

3. rxcomposite

rxcomposite Senior Member

In filament winding, there is usually a collapsible steel mandrel that collapse or reduces its diameter in order for the cured laminate to slip out. for more complex form, a reinforced salt mixture form that is dissolved after winding and curing. The most difficult but the most efficient in terms of form is a tapered plug (metal or wood) by which the cured laminate is pulled out of the form through hydraulic means. It takes a lot of force to slip out the cured laminate.

It is always cheaper in terms of materials to use filament winding method but the best you can get in terms of fiber volume fraction is 0.55(axial) to 0.60(hoop). The orientation of the windings prevents a complete nesting of the fibers. Infusion at high vac does a better job.

4. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Actually one should use this method for larger pieces because you have to complete a wet layup before the resin kicks. As I left for bed here I realized but was too tired to correct. Brain goes in reverse over a certain time ;)

Thanks for your support Rx, I really appreciate it.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.