Why Did My Plywood Supplier Go Ballistic on Me??

Discussion in 'Materials' started by CatBuilder, May 6, 2010.

1. dskira

dskira Previous Member

I think you have the answer of your thread title :)
    Daniel

2. dskira

dskira Previous Member

Strange, my insurance company never told me such a non-sense.
    Don't dream Capt., wood is here for ever, and insurances will still love it.
    By the way, did you see a plastic boat burning? it is quite being close to a napalm bomb. And insurance company love it? Because of fire retardant?
    And the Coast Guard do not care about the material of construction as long the engineering is right. You should know that. (I worked with them)
    Captain, Ho My Captain. :p
    Daniel

3. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

Why do people make such dumb comments like the glass is all the strength !!:eek: think again and think long and hard !!:mad: Every part of a hull is important ,the ply core and the skins are all important and work together as one , Even the glue bonding the skins of the plywood are important , most layers of glass are just a protective skin to add strength to the ply core .
    Its not a plastic boat!!, its a wooden boat with a layer of glass reinforced resin on the outside and possible the inside .Peoples lives will be risk and its sound and true advice we should be giving not our personal opinions :confused: Glass dosent burn its the resin that burns !! though resin is not easy to start to burn , once it does start to burn it has a lot of heat and can be difficult to put out !! and the smoke is very toxit !!
    Fire proof doors used in buildings are made of wood core because it is slower burning and is a good heat insulator !!

4. LeeV

LeeV LeeV

Jig drawings?

Ilan,
    Did you ever post the drawings of the jig? I'd love to see them as I'm considering building a Kurt Hughes 36.

Thank you!
    Lee

5. Ilan Voyager

Ilan Voyager Senior Member

I haven't gone in the forum for months, I check the account email of the forum only every 30th of February (ie never, a French joke), so I've discovered by a total haphazard your post. Sorry no drawings as nobody finally asked for, and no time now to draw. It's similar to the wheels used for the aluminum boats so all the weldings are done flat, as you can roll or flip the hull in any position. In our case it's simply a frame-box made of steel light profiles bolted and screwed where the hull is supported inside. That permits to align perfectly the hull as you have a referential frame...Also the hull can be rotated without deformation on a good flat concrete floor for working only on horizontal surfaces. I let imagine how it's easy to sand, glue the internal items, coat on almost horizontal surfaces without drips, sagging fillets, and dropping resin on the poor keel zone...

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.