Why are there no PWC/ Jet Skis with V-Twin Harley-Style Engines?

Discussion in 'Jet Drives' started by Chris Hall, Aug 10, 2009.

1. pistnbroke

pistnbroke I try

I solved the re engine jetski problem with my kawasaki S1 sport ..bought it for $300 empty but in showroom condition ....fitted a 30 hp Yamaha outboard .....now its a propski and exempt form jetski ( pwc ) restictions .......rocket ship ......cheap easy to maintain and pisses the river police off great ....

2. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

Blah, blah, blah...

Do you think so?!?!?

No more than the 2000 hp talk earlier.

It's all the same, just talk, good fun, but still, just talk.

Tom

P.S. Are you sure it's my handle you don't like or the fact that I rode a crotch rocket?

How do you stay awake on those recumbents frosty?

Last edited: Aug 16, 2009
  3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

I wouldn't consider 2,000 HP on a jetski, but would consider 2,000 pounds of thrust, maybe in a dry propellant and a few extra fins, possibly a seat belt . . .

4. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

ahhh, boys and our toys, what the hell is "practical".......just returned from a run on my Harley to the Gold Coast and back, sore bum, numb fingers.....and very happy thanks.
    Just love the BM for a real ride though, but "practical" ......wtf.

5. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

PAR, with that kind of thrust you will have to add a pressure cabin and oxygen supply to keep the helmsman alive as you approach low earth orbit... ;)

As to the overpowered jet ski ideas- we do have to remember that these are not big boats. 12' long by 3' wide does not give a whole lot of volume to support the weight of a large, heavy motor. I'm not sure I want to know how much money Yamaha, BRP, Kawasaki et al. have thrown at trying to shave a kilogram or two off their high-performance models.

Most of the higher-powered PWCs I've seen have a compact, high-revving engine shoehorned in there so tightly that you'd almost have to pull the motor for routine maintenance. They have these long, serpentine air vents to try to keep water off the motor when the thing nose-dives. Frankly, there just isn't the space in a normal PWC to fit larger-displacement engines.

PWCs, practical? Maybe if you dock it with a ShuttleCraft, but for the most part they're just expensive toys. So, if anyone wants to spend thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours modifying one to accept a larger, less powerful, less refined engine than it came with- who am I to stop him?

6. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

A few guys have put V6 merc outboards in them.
    Thre was a guy on here I think who converted one to a shaft with a hot motor and got the thing doing over 100mph then the thread went all quiet.....

7. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

Looks like we lost Chris Hall the thread starter.

Maybe he's busy prying that V8 into his jet-ski.

Personally, I think he's nuts, but all the 'power' to him!

I had a good chuckle at Pistonbrokes solution.

That is absolutely brilliant. "Sorry officer, it's not a jet ski.

Look, see my prop? Bye-bye..."

I love it.

Tom

8. mark775

mark775 Guest

Rollie_Free,_record_run.jpg
    That's 150 MPH...
    might have been 160 but
    for the weight of the eggs...

9. Chris Ostlind

Chris Ostlind Previous Member

Here Richard,

Because you seem to insist that braking while turning is not in the cards, take a moment and read all of this piece on Trail Braking. Take note to digest the comments by former World Superbike Champion Freddie Spencer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trail_braking

The technique is used by every road racing rider who wants to discover his lowest lap times and subsequently win races. In the photo below you can see two riders entering a turn. They have unweighted their seats and are hanging their bodies over to the inside of the turn with their inside knees opened to help slow the bike with aero drag. The rider on the left is very clearly applying his brakes as you can see that the forks of his bike are still compressed... and yet, he is very clearly leaning into the turn in tandem with another rider, as well as having his bike heeled (leaned) into the turn. Why is he not being jolted upright and thrown to the outside of the turn, as you say that he will, due to the laws of physics?

Perhaps the reason you think this is, as you put it, a No No, is because it leads to lots of crashes for amateurs? ;-)

Now, I don't know if you ever raced any motorcycles, but you may wish to consider this as a reality for both racing and street riding...

If two vehicles enter a turn at the same time (Common on the track and also on the street if the roadway is two lanes on each side of the center stripe) what happens if the vehicle on the outside of the turn suddenly changes their line/changes lanes to the inside portion of the turn? This effectively cuts off the inside rider and he must alter his course. So, what does he do?

A. He can turn in tighter... if there is room.
    B. He can center-punch the offending rider who is cutting him off.
    C. He can apply his brakes momentarily, allow the other rider to go by and then resume his adjusted line through the turn.

I don't really know where you got this notion, but motorcycle riders all over the place are doing it everyday, staying in control and motoring about with big smiles on their faces. Virtually every rider on the track is doing it under very serious speed and handling scenarios in very close company. Just because you may not agree with the practice, does not mean it is not being done successfully.

So, if physics says it's impossible, why then is the practice being done day in and day out with great success?

Regards

Attached Files:

10. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

Chris,

Richard is obviously not an experienced rider of the motorcycle.
    Many people ride for years, decades, yet never "get out of first gear", so to speak.

I was reading in shock on the BMW owners site of America, where, so called experts, were talking about "advanced" rider techniques, such a load of crap it makes me wonder how thay have ever survived so far, I guess the Lord looks after the weak......

11. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

I like safe riding personally, I always lift the side stand before going round corners. If I come to a corner I am not sure of I park the bike and take a walk around the corner kicking the gravel etc.

I then go back to the bike and push it round the corner, then start the engine and drive away safely.

12. pistnbroke

pistnbroke I try

well they dont call the yanks septic tanks for nothing

Stay cool but not frosty

13. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

Frosty,

Only a girl would lift the side stand, have you lost all sence of adventure.
    How will you ever learn to brake in a corner if you don't leave the sidestand down, run the red light into a big tight left corner, then.......

14. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Im not a sepo,--im a pom.

15. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.