why are all cats like this ??????

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by krishkannu, Apr 6, 2012.

1. Gary Baigent

Gary Baigent Senior Member

Stratosphere used the same mould for top and bottom, also bow and stern were the same too, cleverly used, then the two ends of the popped laminated hull sections were laminated together, top and bottom; also the in and out side pods utilized the same method but with differing packings to create the shorter lengths and half rounded ends. I remember looking at just a few quite small moulds lying around at Mahurangi, yet this great big boat had come from them. So that is why Stratosphere's bows set up a great fountain of spray because the bow was also the same shape as the stern. David was slightly sensitive to gauche and impolite suggestions from some observers about this continuous bath ... so on his own Sundreamer, he packed the mould with an insert to maker a finer bow shape when laminating the front sections
    As K J Thomas has already mentioned, the hulls were angled inwards purely to reduce the beam lengths, also weight. This gave the impression of the hulls being asymmetrical ... but they weren't/aren't. David Barker's earlier 40 foot Sundancer also had angled inward, but fine, symmetric hulls; he had studied CSK cats (with asymmetric hulls) when he was in Hawaii and thought he could design a better hydrodynamic hull but with the same CSK look, which he admired.
    Newick's Atlantic proa Cheers had a high, leeward blister added later after a lean over during trials; also the Brown proas have hull like blisters for halting tipovers if caught aback, on the upwind side too.

2. HASYB

HASYB Senior Member

Illustrations to the above and perhaps the one in Jipsters mind.

Attached Files:

3. yipster

yipster designer

[​IMG]
    HASYB close, or is it http://www.wingo.com/proa/brown/jzerro.html
    wiki say's Russ Brown started those sidepods in the mid seventy's
    jzerro did 20knts but the boat was a pile of **** Brown say's
    Jim Antrim did some stability pics on a side pod proa

4. Richard Woods

Richard Woods Woods Designs

Remember boats aren't just or sailing/motoring.

Sometimes you have to come alongside. The fenders needed for a catamaran with side pods, or the proa above, have to be very big to protect the boat from most pontoons/docks (Think of what's needed in the boat photoed above). And of course you cannot overhang the dock itself, so even coming alongside will be tricky

So I agree, its better to increase the hull separation

Richard Woods of Woods Designs

www.sailingcatamarans.com

5. HASYB

HASYB Senior Member

Attached Files:

6. cavalier mk2

cavalier mk2 Senior Member

It seems the way to dock the proas would be with the ama to the dock. At least no one could figure out how to raft on to you!

7. Gary Baigent

When brand new Sundreamer won the reintroduced Auckland/Tauranga, we tied up to the usual type floating dock there (with zero problems because the port pod overhung the pontoon) ... but visitors, fascinated by this unusual marine spaceship, would walk along banging the pod with hands, keys etc - sounded like continual drumming from inside. I think David wrote a polite note, didn't stop it though. So that was a minor and not envisaged aspect.
    Actually tying up to a conventional wharf was no problem; you just hung the buffers strategically over the pod.

8. Gary Baigent

Haysb, that's a very young Halvard Mabire on the beam of Tahiti Douche - Atlantic proa designed by Daniel Charles.

9. tz3dcom

tz3dcom 3D

I have heard to build a 60' cat with symmetrical bottom and top can save cost about Euro 50000 on mold, it's really clever and good option for DIY project.

When I work with my friend to developing it in 3d , we found out it 's hard to change the deck with a flat walkway and expand the steps on stern ...we still need to experiment more idea to improve it.

if anyone have idea or photos that would be helps.

Thanks

10. gypsy28

gypsy28 Senior Member

Where did you hear that?,

Jzerro is probably my alltime favourite multihull

DAVE

11. HASYB

HASYB Senior Member

The very one who only recently returned to Auckland campaigning the countryside of France? Quelle Coincidence.

12. yipster

yipster designer

once I found the pics I had mind I googled for more on Jzerro
    came acros a recent interview copie from a newspaper or so
    wherein Russ Brown besides good memory's and results mentioned **** as well

one of my favorite proa designs too, but parking may be something else
    when those roofknockers tell there are green man with antennas inside :p

13. jamez

jamez Senior Member

Gary, is this one of your articles (in pdf, apologies for the poor quality)? I never realised there were so many differences between Stratosphere and Sundreamer. Do you (or anyone) know what became of the 3rd boat off the moulds built in Napier and later sold to the US?

Attached Files:

14. Gary Baigent

No, that was Ena Hutchinson's article with photographs by editor David Pardon. I took the small interior construction shot; the first couple of pages were left out of the pdf. - but I did this small piece in my monthly column.

Attached Files:

15. Squidly-Diddly

Squidly-Diddly Senior Member

Docking could be tricky as mentioned. I believe docks come in all shapes and sizes

and height's above water, so excellent chance any overhang would be the worst possible mis-match, Murphy's Law and all that. Half the time your overhang will be slamming hard on the dock with every little wavelet that passes by.

I once thought it might be nice to have side tramps, since a cat doesn't heel much.

Maybe if you had an overhang you could use poles to dock and put tramps on the poles, but then you are taking up WAY to much marina space.

Maybe fairly narrow side tramps on poles that could be raised or lowered or hinged to connect to docks and also provide nice wide ramp.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.