Who's qualified to do "detailed engineering analysis"?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by TealTiger, Feb 3, 2012.

1. TealTiger

TealTiger Junior Member

Dear Ad Hoc,
    Would you mind extrapolating? How much experience? What kind? Why?
    Thank you.

2. kvsgkvng

kvsgkvng Senior Member

strong reservations on /bamboo/epoxy/concrete/sealant/ composite material

This is what I think - sorry for being a bit straightforward. I stumbled on this thread by accident and could not hold my opinion down when I see that it disagrees with mine. If you have doubts -- post the question on www.eng-tips.com there many knowledgeable engineers there and they can advise you in addition to these two opinions.
    You can do anything, if you have money and time. Developing new technology requires a lot of initial research to establish many things. It does not necessarily guarantees that the result may be cost efficient compared to established techniques, if it is going to be a small-scale operation.

Look, the final thing is that developing new technology with new material will yield either of two things. The first the proper one would require lots of time, money and expertise. The second one would end up with building something which is going to fall apart after two months. It is like me - building "a new boat" when everyone is saying "get bigger and cheaper second hand one!" Yeah, I can do that but the fun would be gone...

If you go with unproven technology, you may end up with a cracked all over wreck in two month.

I would not want to occupy all the people reading this post with trade specific details and I do not solicit here any employment.

IMHO these things are done off the list. Regards.

3. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Most questionable construction can be successfully achieved if enough funds are thrown at it, however an important consideration when posting an answer is it financially wise to do so. ---

4. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

Well, firstly you say you’re designing a 40-60’ ocean going cat. This is not Child's play…and then, on your assumption with concrete and bamboo, requires a working knowledge of these materials, not theory, actual real experience of using such materials and in different applications.

So, for the design of the ocean going cat, this requires a high degree of previous experience. Ocean going boats, of whatever description must have so many aspects taken into account, far beyond that of a simple GA. Thus you need a qualified and experienced (this is the key, experience) NA whom has designed ocean going cruising cats before. Anyone can draw a pretty picture...BUT, is is sfae enough, will it float, will it float upright under all expected conditions... what occurs when damaged, is it structure adequate in hurricane winds etc etc.

As for the materials side, books only teach you theory, not application. Exotic materials do not always behave in a classic manner, especially as noted in suppliers’ manuals. Thus hands on experience of using said materials in similar working environments are very important when dealing with "exotic" and compsite structures. If you don’t know how the material is made used, fabricated and effects of service history, then how can you design with it or properly?

Thus, you need an experienced NA, otherwise you’ll just waste time/money…and possible a life, if not careful.