Whomever came up with this phrase wasn't a boater

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by 7228sedan, Sep 10, 2019.

1. 7228sedan

7228sedan Senior Member

"The 2 best days in a boater's life are the day they buy it, and the day they sell it"

After 10 years, the 28 Luhrs has gone to a new home. I really didn't think I'd have the reaction that I am experiencing. All of the blood and sweat that went into making her just right now seems wasted. To put all the work into getting it ready to sell, only to regret not completing those tasks while she was mine to enjoy... Farewell, and calm seas "Mi$$ Appropriation".

Attached Files:

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

I can relate to those feelings

3. Deering

Deering Senior Member

I was pretty happy to buy that skiff that’s now buried under moss and dead leaves in the corner of the yard. My wife will be pretty happy to see it leave.

4. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

Try building from the ground up.

There will still be the day I can't keep it.

Fairing first hull.
    A00E3F3C-C14A-4D96-8574-2DB4345CE2F6.jpeg

5. missinginaction

missinginaction Senior Member

I'm just curious....Why did you decide to sell her 7728? I remember reading some of your posts over the years. As I recall you put a lot of work into her. You had that issue with the rear main seal, right? Did you ever get that resolved?

MIA

6. 7228sedan

7228sedan Senior Member

I had her just how I wanted her actually...

I did get the rear main figured out. I needed to polish the crank journal where the seal rides. It's all dry now.
    Also had the prop tuned with a cup. She was cruising at 16 knots@ 3000-3100 and topped out at 24 knots. Really running great.

We decided to sell as the platform didn't fit our family any longer. My son is disabled, and cannot walk. As he was growing we weren't sure of his prognosis. Now that he's 11 and getting big, I can no longer carry him on board safely. Plus once onboard I need to lift him onto the bridge, or carry him down the companionway into the cabin. We are going to take a while to find the right platform that suits us with his needs in mind. Ideally, a transom door and a salon large enough that I can wheel him onto the boat via a gangplank, and a salon where we can maneuver in his wheelchair. there were other concerns related to how we want to use the boat as well. We want to be able to take long weekends, or week long coastal trips. His disability also impacts his respiratory system. He needs a decent amount of support equipment while he sleeps, a generator is definitely in order as well for anchorages. We're likely a few years out from being in position to take that plunge.

In short, it was a practical time to move on. But in the 10 years that I have owner her, she became part of the family and she will be missed.
    At least I always have my profile name to remember her by ;-)

Cheers!

7. Rurudyne

Rurudyne Senior Member

My family has similar issues: a handicapped sister and mom that can't climb steps.

I don't know what you think of them but Bolger's Tennessee has been said to been built so they are wheelchair friendly. Needing more space the Wyoming should be able to be similarly built. It's a big project though.

8. 7228sedan

7228sedan Senior Member

Good looking ladies... After the last restoration, I will be going for something much newer and ready to roll. I am envisioning a 36-42 convertible with a transom door, wide sliding entry into the cabin with no or only 1 step up.
    A good sized salon upon entry is also key. He doesn't need to get down to bunks if there is a fold out berth in the salon. Something in the realm of the latest 34-42 Silvertons, 35 Egg Harbor etc.

9. Rurudyne

Rurudyne Senior Member

They are nice.

What I called my dream boat (in the gallery) would have had a through transom entry and would be split level, no steps up or down front to back with only a pilothouse set higher. She'd be big (huge if I were to try to build it) but if you're gonna daydream it may as well be big.

Then there's the paddlewheel.... ;)

10. missinginaction

missinginaction Senior Member

Good luck finding a new rig 7728. I certainly can see your points regarding egress. Keep in touch and let me (us) know how you're doing.
    Regards,

MIA

11. 7228sedan

7228sedan Senior Member

Thanks MIA, I appreciate it!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.