Who likes my new dive platform

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by the brain, Feb 1, 2017.

1. the brain

the brain Senior Member

Who likes my new dive platform

I have 3/16th” aluimin diamond plate plan to use as a dive plateform big fish landing . will fab up two 1/16" angle bracing for underneath surport.

thinking of adding a teak or bamboo wood around the outside of plateform.

I am concernded w/ the smoothside of the diamond will rust? I’m thinking it will rust emdiately notice the top section of the door I made notice the surface rust.

I intend on flappey wheel the rust then prime the whole area for paint I have decided
    Gunmetal darkish grey for exterior/interia cabin above waterline
    I always liked this shade of silver advantages
    1.cool looking
    2.duck hunting ready
    3.other stuff
    What do you Guys think of the color selection.
    STB

Attached Files:

2. Scot McPherson

Scot McPherson Senior Member

Hi There,
    I took a look at your picture. My conern would be that the platofmr might act like a knife and cut lines and people if they are climbing out of the water.

Regarding rust, 1stly I don't see any rust on the door you are talking about.

2ndly, aluminum doesn't rust, it will be covered with oxidation which will protect the metal so long as it doesn't remain submerged for any length of time.

3. Squidly-Diddly

Squidly-Diddly Senior Member

you should make it wrap around the sides as much as trailer will allow and what looks proportional.

Then it will look "custom" as opposed to "some guy bolted on a flat piece of metal".

Make it so you can stand on either side and play with the undisturbed water as it goes by VS standing on the back and looking down at the wake.

4. the brain

the brain Senior Member

I asure you I won't be referred to as some Guy who bolted """"

I plan to have a wooden covering the prerimeter of platform there won't be any sharp edges.

5. the brain

the brain Senior Member

update

Attached Files:

6. the brain

the brain Senior Member

update plan to have the tube welded to diamond plate and the triangle surport

it will bolt to the transom though the triangle and bolt to diamond plate onto of the POD so it will be removable.

the exposed triangle I was planning on glueing a slited rubber tube to cover the metal *even though it it smoothely grinded.

hows it look?

Attached Files:

7. the brain

the brain Senior Member

anyone

8. the brain

the brain Senior Member

update ditched the triangle outside brace.

I now have the outside diangle surport lower end is 45* I grinded out half the diameter of top tube.

I desided to use square tube for outside surport the middle two will be round tubing.

Attached Files:

9. the brain

the brain Senior Member

update I am officially admitting to being that Guy "some guy bolted on a flat piece of metal".welcomed additional 10LBs

it took me quite some time/planning to get to closing stage1 of phase 1 dive deck.

there are no sharp edges anywhere she's well above the waterline at cruise/WOT.
    I have been using it as a dive plateform and to hold fish trap/fish land. will use to transport extra fuel/and to hold generater for overnighting.

I 'm working on the fourth attachment hole it was trickie to get the first three holes all three required elongating/widening. I also made my own washers, finale fitment I will round each washer.

DP is made of 1/4" alumimiun diamiond plate w/ a alu. tube bolted to it for added rigidity then bolted to pod, it very stronge as is however there's a tad of flex. w/ the fourth final bolt I can then secure eliminating any vibration.

plan to glue the underneth's angle directly to transome skin however I missed to compenstate for transomes angle

edit: I added a bunch of revits to the lower splashwell would like to glue it too howver it's very confining to get glue where I want it.

TB

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.