Cheapest DIY Bugout Sailboat

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by lvabd, Dec 11, 2022.

1. lvabd

lvabd Junior Member

You guys are probably gonna hate me for asking this; but, what do you think would be the quickest, cheapest and easiest to build bugout sailboat?

I've been looking at techniques such as duct-tape/pvc/sof, a beachcat, from 4.5" pvc tubing; and corrugated alu outrigger canoes with crab-claw sails.

While none of these methodologies are ideal, or maybe even safe, I'd like to get a feel for what might work for under $500 us and take less than a month to assemble and float.

Is it ok to ask this here, or are there better places for this kind of discussion?

2. Rumars

Rumars Senior Member

Do you want to "bugout" across the ocean or float in the backyard millpond? How many is "us"?

Lash together some driftwood and you have a raft. This is the basic sailing vessel, unsinkable and mostly collision proof. From there you start adapting to your requirements, skills, tools and locally available materials. What's cheaper, 1x lumber and nails, or corrugated alu and duck-tape?

Best option by far is to use the classifieds, search for "free boat". 500$ pays for a lot of gas, it doesn't have to be local.

kerosene and Will Gilmore like this.
  3. lvabd

lvabd Junior Member

1 x person, ocean to 3 days.

4. Rumars

Rumars Senior Member

In the spirit of brief communication:
    wood, nails, 5200/epoxy/PL Premium, optional ext. plywood/plastic barrel/PVC tarp.

5. Will Gilmore

Will Gilmore Senior Member

You want to sail from Miami to Bimini, or something like that? One way trip?

This has the makings of a good contestant challenge. The cheapest way I can think of is to host a three day sailing race down the Gulf coast of Florida and charge a thousand dollars to enter. Winner gets half the proceeds and their boat design gets to be tested for free by you, across the Gulfstream.

lvabd likes this.
  6. clmanges

clmanges Senior Member

PDR?

lvabd likes this.
  7. lvabd

lvabd Junior Member

I'm so feeling this!

8. lvabd

lvabd Junior Member

I suppose it qualifies.

9. seasquirt

seasquirt Senior Member

Hi Ivabd, for $500 you could buy a reasonable condition complete second hand car topper sailing dinghy, or a worse condition one on a trailer. It's already a boat, doesn't need building out of junk yard stuff and gaffer tape, and has already proved to return to shore in one piece (probably). The sailing part is the expensive and tricky bit, which is already done on a S/H sailing dinghy. You can't expect to whip up a sailboat like ET out of sticks and string when / if the S hits the F, and you really do have to 'bug out'. A $500 boat and 3 days at sea is: a) a miracle, b) a nightmare, c) an adventure novel, c) most likely a rescue or drowning statistic. You won't hide from anyone on the sea, you won't out run a gun boat or plane, or anything for that matter (maybe a jellyfish), for $500. You will have some sort of adventure, or mis-adventure. At least start with a boat of some sort, and go from there.
    I do like Will's competition idea. I used to like watching "Junkyard Inventor" or whatever it was called type competitions on TV, but they were filmed over several days and edited to a few minutes, avoiding the boring laborious times. And they had medical emergency crews and fire engines on standby sometimes. Did you see the 'Myth Busters' make a boat out of gaffa tape, or escape from Alcatraz, episodes ? Nothing there happened quickly, under threat of some annoying disruption to peace. Have fun doing it anyway, whatever IT is.

alan craig likes this.
  10. Andrew Kirk

Andrew Kirk Pedal boater.

I built my boat for around £300. Yes, I was rather indulgent buying marine ply so could have done it much cheaper. I only want to sail on the local canal. If I went to sea it would be a one way trip. Sailing dinghies can be picked up for similar money or even "free to a good home" so that would be the best thing for the OP. I enjoyed building mine and want to make another next spring. This time it will be a catamaran, pedal powered with sail assistance but I still won't be going anywhere near the sea. By the way, like the first boat it will be sensibly built and won't rely on gaffer tape, string or sewerage pipe. Anyone want a pedal powered dinghy? I need to make room in the workshop for the new one.
    The last sail of the year? https://mountainbiker.online/2022/10/27/the-last-sail-of-the-year-2/

Will Gilmore likes this.
  11. Will Gilmore

Will Gilmore Senior Member

"Junkyard Wars". They had a very disappointing sailing episode. No one understood sailing very well. Their land yachts only achieved about two or three knots in 10 to 15 knots of wind, as I recall. Episode 4, season 2.

12. Squidly-Diddly

Squidly-Diddly Senior Member

IMO a MacGregor would be my go-to BoB, largely because it should be easy to launch.

As a practical matter for lowest cost legit BoB I'd find a older semi-distressed MacGregor and do some ugly but seaworthy repair.

A big part of the BoB package would be means to do a covert launch after DHS Civilian Defense Force goons close all the launch ramps at all marinas. This might include a 1/2 dozen 16ft 2x12 planks to get boat and car over mud or sand to the water, and maybe some tricky action with a sea-anchor and pully. Swim or dingy the sea-anchor out and run line from boat to SA to car and drive car inland to pull boat into water.

I'm a big fan of BoB vs land based hideout bunker. IIRC Vietnamese "boat people" had over 90% survival rate, but no one was finding any holdouts after USSR fell, and I don't think you'd have found any holdouts in the USSR in 1923. People stink and any dog can track any human just fine in the great outdoors.

25 ft McGregor yacht with trailer - boats - by owner - marine sale https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/boa/7567377905.html
    MacGregor 25 on trailer with new tires. Needs rudder, sails, elbow grease. Says he will take $500 cash to cover funds recently dumped into her, and hopefully you got something else to trade. :) In a pinch I'd rather be in the needs TLC but seaworthy MG with blue tarps for sails and canoe paddles for rudders than a pure DIY super low cost vessel.

lvabd and bajansailor like this.
  13. lvabd

lvabd Junior Member

I'm with you on the MacGregors. Very high survivability boat!

14. lvabd

lvabd Junior Member

For a diy, I think it's going to have to be a scow. I think I could probably draw one, in a pinch.

I actually prefer Scow-1, as it's not an open keel.

The other images are from a design called Scow320 on the Duckworks website. I'd lengthen it to 16 ft and add a sealed floatation compartment in the stern, to match the one in the bow; raise the freeboard to mid-thigh hight and partially close-off the open-keel with plywood, as on Scow-1. I think I'd only need the hoop-tent in port.

I'm also thinking regular or cast-off plywood and plenty of epoxy.

At sea, I want to stay dry and not fall overboard, when I nod-off to sleep. I'm hoping to just bungee the tiller and correct once an hour or so. GPS on phone, no charts, obviously.

If all goes well, it'll be YT videos and Fosters, until I make land.

*Oh, do any of you distinguished gentlemen know where I might get some "free" plans, along the lines mentioned?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 16, 2022
    Will Gilmore likes this.

15. clmanges

clmanges Senior Member

Side air boxes have this advantage--see also Oz Goose:
    Air Tanks On The Sides https://pdracer.com/emergency-flotation/side-airboxes/