Who Invented it, and who invented it first?

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by kach22i, May 15, 2007.

1. Raggi_Thor

Raggi_Thor Nav.arch/Designer/Builder

Explosive harpoons, Sven Foyn, 1870

2. Raggi_Thor

Wiki:

The first aerosol spray can was invented in Oslo in November 23, 1926 by Erik Rotheim, a Norwegian chemical engineer.[1] The patent was sold to a US company for 100,000 Norwegian kroner.[2] The Norwegian Post Office celebrated the invention by issuing a stamp in 1998.

3. Ike

Ike Senior Member

Try this
    The History of Aviation: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aviation_history

Just about every country or nationality makes claims to this, for instance the French claim

"In 1856, Frenchman Jean-Marie Le Bris made the first flight higher than his point of departure, by having his glider "L'Albatros artificiel" pulled by a horse on a beach. He reportedly achieved a height of 100 meters, over a distance of 200 meters."

People have been jumping off of towers, hills and mountain tops for centuries with all kinds of contraptions.

I also vote for Icarus, but then the Pterodactyl beat us to it by several million years.

4. Leo Lazauskas

Leo Lazauskas Senior Member

In the 15th century, Kiev was home to a huge industry producing religious icons for the Russian nobility.
    At the end of every month, a bullock wagon was filled with the completed paintings and taken to Moscow.
    The paintings were in such high demand that one family began using a series of horse-back riders to move them
    to Moscow overnight. It is for this reason that Ukrainians claim that TV was invented, not by Logie Baird, but
    by the family Televidenko.

5. Raggi_Thor

Hmm, sorry if i misunderstood, this is mostly about aviation I guess..

6. WickedGood

WickedGood Guest

7. apex1

apex1 Guest

Karl Jatho was the first to conduct several manned and controlled flights under motor. All officially documented and photographed. And he started without the assistance of a catapult, like the Wrights did! Although his flights were much longer, higher and further engineered than the Wrights catapult crashes, he thought he failed! He was not satisfied with these short "jumps" and gave up.
    In 2004 a replica, buit to the original plans and with the original materials has proven the historical correctness.

Regards
    Richard

8. watchkeeper

watchkeeper Previous Member

In May 1903 a south island New Zealand farmer/inventor Richard Pearce living in Timaru made the first of several power take offs and 100mt flights watched by local townspeople and photographed but not officially recorded, one year before Wright bros launched their powered glider. His aircraft built of bamboo had ailerons, a centre cockpit, a wheeled under carriage plus his own design/built twin horizontal opposed air cooled engine and 2 blade tin propeller.
    He regularly corresponded with Popular Mechanics and shared his work with the Wright bros. While WB made some 400 glider take off flights they never made a powered take off as did Richard Pearce and other aviators.
    In 1913 Richard Pearce designed and built a tilt engine (radial) vertical take off aircraft that could switch to forward flight. The plane still exists on display at MOTAP in Auckland. Richard Peace was eccentric loner, never sought recognition or money for his many inventions. He died 1963 in a Christchurch aged nursing home.

9. kach22i

kach22i Architect

It's about anything you want it to.

Boats even.:p

10. dskira

dskira Previous Member

Nothing was invented, everything was there to grab when the moment came.
    Daniel

11. masrapido

masrapido Junior forever

This deserves the points, but the system wouldn't let me unless I give poits to at least ten other people...

How is your boat progressing? Hope well. Just don't try and fix the wings on it.

: )

12. dskira

dskira Previous Member

Long time no see. thanks for the point, I take it as done. don't bother.
    Take a look at my thread under:
    Wooden Boat Building and Restoration
    Then:Building the houseboat.
    Come aboard and give me your thoughts, always appreciated.
    Daniel

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.