Who has experience with a desulfator for deep discharging lead acid batteries

Discussion in 'OnBoard Electronics & Controls' started by BertKu, Jan 26, 2019.

1. BertKu

BertKu Senior Member

First at all everybody a successful 2020 and also hopefully a healthy one.
    Fallguy, Happy new year in your icy cold condition. (it is here 34 degree Celsius ) Unfortunately I may have to agree with you and also with John Fetter, that it is like a fortune teller, by the time it should happen what the fortuneteller was predicting, that person is no longer to be found. The same with this very lucrative desulfator business, by the time you have discovered that it does not work, either the company is out of business or they tell you a story that it is working for everybody else.

I came to the conclusion that after 1 week intensive charging and desulfating, one should notice some improvement. What do you think about the result. Please note that I had the battery on a trickle charger at the same time because 40 mA x 24 hours x 7 days = 6,7 Amperehour and that would defeat the purpose.
    Desulfator2 photo's to Desulfator6.

Battery A : 5th of December 2019 = 11,27 Volt ......... Battery B = 10,18 Volt
    ( Both for a long time , a couple of weeks) We started with the desulfating on the 24th December
    Battery A : 24th of December 2019 at 10h00 = 13,28 Volt .............. Battery B = 13,32 Volt
    Batteries disconnected from charger + desulfator for 20 minutes
    Battery A : 31st of December 2019 at 09h48 = 12,44 Volt .............. Battery B = 12,32 Volt
    Battery A : 31st of December 2019 at 11h45 = 10,85 Volt ...............Battery B = 10,28 Volt
    Battery A : 1st of January 2020 at 09h36 = 10,46 Volt .....................Battery B = 10,27 Volt

My conclusion, unless I will be able to find out the energy required for MY MODEL and size and the resonance oscillation frequency and for how long it must resonance at that frequency, + all the same info for any other size and model battery, I have no hope nor have the time to make something what will work.

Please read the manual which I received for those 2 desulfators Photo 3 to 6

Pitty, Fallguy, but I think you will agree with me to stop wasting time and money. they don't work.
    Bert

Attached Files:

2. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

The only way I would trust the experimentation is if I could actually see the plates and measure them individually. Of course, this is not so safe either unless you are in a lab setting with proper venting, etc.

My concern is you have a plate that is already beyond repair and that this is the truer problem.

3. BertKu

BertKu Senior Member

Fully agree, and even then, how do you make the faulty plates oscillating in resonance, an impossible task, for an amateur without equipment and detailed information etc. Have a nice time in Minnesota. Bert

4. BertKu

BertKu Senior Member

One can only learn from the errors one make. I decided, because the Pulse desulfator was not given my expected result, to open one off my 13 batteries. To my surprise there was not one drop of battery water (de-ionised) in one of the cells. The other cells had very little liquid in them. Although they are claimed as maintenance free sealed lead acid batteries. I have nothing too lose anymore after 8 years of service, thus I filled this one up with de-ionised battery water. It is are now on charge. Let see what the result is going to be. Thanks for your great help Fallguy,

5. BertKu

BertKu Senior Member

Fallquy, you are totally right. Because the 6 cells are in serial, those desulfators may penetrate the first cell and both plates and do more damage than good. The one battery started to get hot at the one corner WITHOUT any leads. Thus totally damaged. Even the extra de-ionised water did not help.

My conclusion is that the very cheap ones with a 555 Ic is the biggest mass fraud I have ever seen and this is my personal opinion. Millions are being sold. The other ones, the second purchase, have damaged my cells also badly. The batteries are now 5,5 Volt and 6,1 Volt versus 12.3 Volt and 11,4 Volt. I can still use them but in serial for my experimental electronic development work. Maybe, maybe the products works for a single 2,25 Volt cell, but definitely not for a multiple 12 Volt battery with 6 cells. Unless the manufacturer gives sufficient evidence from laboratories or universities that it works, My recommendation is stay away from it. Thanks Fallguy. Bert

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.