The game is afoot

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by Boston, Apr 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boston

Boston Previous Member

Ok people I just rented a warehouse space and its game on. My big plan is to get a hull built and have it sitting on a trailer asap. Granted I rented the shop to actually make some money but I might as well get this show on the road while I'm in it. I'm pretty quick with a cutting tool so lets see what I can get accomplished this spring/summer/fall.

I'm going to build this thing

( working on it )

Its 28'11" OA with a 7'3" beam and draft of 2'4"
    Not sure what a M 4 Van Blerck motor is but whatever the HP is I'm going to try and at least be in the ballpark, obviously I'm not putting a Van Blerck antique motor in it.

I'm also considering some form of inboard/outboard set up rather than that huge long drag inducing keel thing old Hand drew into that thing.

You may all be wondering why your looking at that with your heads tilted sideways. ( fixed it ) Its because whenever I rotated it from the scanner on any medium it for some bizarre reason altered the proportions. ( I had my screen resolution set to for my old smaller monitor size ) Not sure what that's all about but Its a great way to start eh. ( my bad it was the screen settings )

anyway not going to be a traditional build, cold molded. the canopy will be changed to a more saloon style

[​IMG]

the details look a bit like this

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. cthippo

cthippo Senior Member

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

3. Boston

Boston Previous Member

Ok its my screen setting, maybe I can trial and error my way to the right one

1600 x 1000 seems to be the magic number, so if you want to see the correct proportions thats the ticket. Or at least it is on my screen.

My apologies for the technical difficulties

4. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

I tried re-proportioning. Let's see if this works.

Attached Files:

5. Brian@BNE

Brian@BNE Senior Member

I think you should put a Van Blerck in it. Don't know what it is, but it sounds pretty cool :D

Look forward to regular postings of progress!

6. Brian@BNE

Brian@BNE Senior Member

Van Blerck

Dutch immigrant Joseph Van Blerck was born on August 17th of 1876. He was a very skillful and innovative engineer who came to the United States in 1904 and worked for Henry Ford in Detroit. Around in 1906 he formed the Van Blerck motor company which would become on of the prominent producers of marine engines during the late 1910s. Their engines would capture some very early records in powerboat racing and would be used to power many of the Gold Cuppers in the teens and early twenties.

By 1916, the Van Blerck Motor Company had a diverse line-up of engines, ranging in power from 40-500 horsepower. The prices ranged from the low $1,000 to over $6,000 for the V-12 unit.

Ah yes, you have to put a Van Blerck in it!

7. Boston

Boston Previous Member

it would still just be a reproduction so there's really no point in trying to find and restore one when I can just put a Mercedes 300D engine in it and run it on WMO

which begs the question of if I can put a used engine in a new hull ?

8. Boston

Boston Previous Member

Its my screen setting Hoyt, I changed it to match my screen size and it seemed to fix the issue, but thanks anyway.

so whats the HP of that VB engine specified by these antique instructions?

9. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

I've seen people choose more complex and impractical boats but I can't recall when.......;)

You realize headroom under the canopy is about 5'0"? Sole to beam height in the foc'sl is a hair over 3'....? Hands and knees crawl space.......

This is the wrong hull for an inboard outboard, it is designed to have the engine forward....which is a poor choice for anything running at speeds greater than full displacement (1.34 * sq rt waterline) ie about 7 knots.....build her to structural design weight and a 15HP Kubota will be plenty for that speed.......

I call these "Trophy Boats", impractical and expensive to obtain, but they look great as long as you can keep up the payments.........

10. Boston

Boston Previous Member

Was thinking of harbor hopping my way up the passage and overnighting on it about half the time maybe a bit more. It fits on a trailer, no payments, and I'm the guy thats wearing Oakley's and needing some new shoes, impractical is my middle name. I'd organize the pit area with more seating and was thinking of a pop top forward so the overnighting didn't involve to much crawling around. Sorta like the wildernest camper tops. The pit Bimini is convertible so I'm only squished in there when its to cold or rainy, which is a lot of the time in the PNW.

The design weight is unknown ( not listed in the specs ) and I wasn't planing on doing to much bombing around or I'd a gone with the IH-6, which I've been drooling over for a while now. I'm thinking of doing the Mississippi and the Columbia as well as the inside passage and the eastern canal system. But I want to start with the PNW. On a trailer I have options.

I was also thinking of diagonal planking in 9# over stringers ( I'll need to check elements of yacht strength for scantlings ) and using the weight savings up in some descent wood work and some on board fresh water.

If I'm going to go with a traditional drive train I'm going to need a salvage one from somewhere. My version of an inboard outboard has a really long drive shaft going aft from the engine, located as specified in the middle, I'll dive into that some other time. 15HP seems kinda skinny, is cheap though. Oh well long way to go before motor but it would be nice to know what that VB weighed in at. Anyone?

cheers
    B

11. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

12. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

A slightly smaller version of Broncho is Gramp, 25' by 6' built 1915

Gramp.jpg

13. Boston

Boston Previous Member

30' Garwood from 1928

[​IMG]

Bronco would be about a foot shorter
    my first guess on the engine was ~100 HP, the pamphlet says it would do ~20knots, I didn't have the weight but I estimated it at 4500 lbs in which case at 30 FT the prop calculator says it needs almost 200HP, seemed high to me so I recalculated for 15 knots and its ~100HP. Which is why I thought of using the Mercedes 300D, $500 and 110HP at 3500 RPM. 8knots was something like 15HP which leads me to believe that we both used roughly the same weight estimate.

14. cthippo

cthippo Senior Member

Whatever turns your crank, Boston :p

Like the rest, I'm looking forward to the build log.

15. Boston

Boston Previous Member

well my first entry would be that I went out to the warehouse for a 9AM meeting to get a key and security code as well as stake out my spot and, an hour later one of the guys shows up and starts looking for the other guy. Brilliant eh. needless to say I don't have a gate or key code yet and word is the guy who missed his meeting is now on vacation. All I can say is figure it out kids cause I can get through that gate no problem.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.