Who Has Built Their Own RIB?

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by CatBuilder, May 7, 2011.

1. CatBuilder

CatBuilder Previous Member

Working though the "what dinghy/tender" thread, it has come to light that a RIB - about 12ft is probably what I need.

I'm not about to spend $12K-$20K on a tender, but I still want the RIB and I still want something that looks good.

Sounds a lot like my original catamaran dilemma. :idea:

Has anyone built their own RIB to go with a set of Hypalon tubes they bought?

Are there any plans for a good, light weight RIB out there that can handle a nice 25HP engine on the transom to allow people to water ski behind it?

I'm thinking it'd be a piece of cake to build a foam/glass RIB hull and glue some tubes to it, when compared to building a 45' catamaran.

Anyone know anything about this?

2. rberrey

rberrey Senior Member

I think you can build something with the left overs. 6 people and you are 1050 lb disp, tell them to pack lite.

3. CatBuilder

Exactly. I will use left over Corecell. Haven't found any plans yet. Are there any people on here who know about RIB building plans?

4. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

5. CatBuilder

Ah, the search feature. (embarrassed)

6. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Scroll down to the box labeled "similar threads" at the bottom of this page.

7. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

D-tube RIB, foam or inflatable tubes

I would definitely consider D-tubes rather than round tubes.

Perhaps you might have another look here at a few sketches:
    http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/boat-design/tenders-stored-foredeck-35605-4.html#post422925
    ...maybe this idea without my 'unusual' bottom treatment

CatBuilder, did you forget this previous forum discussion?
    http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/boat-design/tenders-stored-foredeck-35605-4.html

...and how about that one in posting #59
    http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/boat-design/tenders-stored-foredeck-35605-4.html#post423039

8. CatBuilder

Yep... I forgot. I am in the middle of building a boat and things tend to fall through the cracks. Sorry about that.

The more I have thought about it, the more the D tube seems like the way to go. More interior room. Also, if the D tube can be made from glass, rather than hypalon, you have boat that's shaped correctly for large load carrying, while using a V below (like the normal RIBs) seems it will give it a good ride in the chop.

D tubes can also have hatches in them to allow you to store life vests, fuel or other items in there.

I figure I can copy the basic hull shape of a Caribe or other dinghy, then build D tubes from glass.

Scantlings however... are a bit tougher to figure out. I'd need to keep it really light, but be a 12ft boat min. I figure a couple of bench seats and a "euro helm" would probably be the best use of space.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]