Help on project, and ID

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by slopoke21m, Jul 14, 2010.

1. slopoke21m

slopoke21m new guy

Hello all. New to this and hopefully havent bitten off more than I can chew. Bought this old plywood kit boat, and now I think I am about ready to tackle the task of restoring/repairing her. The boat is 14', registered as a 1956, dual cockpit, plywood hull with fiberglass overlay, what appears to be possibly mahogany ply deck that was originally just resined over. I will post more pictures of different problem areas of the boat, and also specifics that will help in identifying the builder/kit maker of this boat, if possible. I think the biggest problem thus far is that about 80% of the starboard side chine is missing due to rot (figure the boat sat on the trailer with a flat tire). The plywood in the chine area is decent, except about 3/4 back its pretty thin and flaky. I believe the trailer is also kit type of about the same year. I hope this forum is like all the others I have been involved with while racing cars, the folks were always very helpful and receptive to my input as well. I am looking for the typical "if it was yours what would you do?" type of input. Like I said, over the next few days I will update with new photos. I love the look and style of this little boat, and am hoping its not a lost cause. Thanks in advance for all your help and support with "Slopoke".
    Louie Miranda, Gardnerville, NV

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A scale balsa model I built of the boat, I plan on painting the boat to resemble the colors of the represented wood.

[​IMG]

2. Herman

Herman Senior Member

Take out whatever is rotten, and scarf in new pieces, using epoxy resin as an adhesive.

Then rough sand the outside, smoothing everything out. If you want to go crazy, vacuum wood veneer on the outside, so it has a nice wooden look (again).

Inside can be painted white / cream. Make nice new leather seats, restore the outboard, or preserve the cover, and install that around a new outboard.

As for the trailer, haveit sandblasted, check for damage and straightness, and give it a new paint job. Disassemble the axle and check / overhaul / replace bearings.

Keep the nice 50's look, tow it behind your pink caddilac, put some grease in your hair, and have fun!

3. slopoke21m

slopoke21m new guy

:D :D :D WOW CONCISE AND TO THE POINT :D :D :D THANK YOU

I really appreciate the input. That is the general plan. I just wish I knew a bit more on the "how". We had considered laminating new wood on the outside but have given that idea up due to funds, weight, and the old making a purse from a pig ear deal....I'm ok with the decision. Dug out all the totes with the bits and pieces, and cleaned out the interior, and vacuumed. The bottom really doesnt look that bad. I figure, in a few weeks, I will flip the boat, do that rough sand, and grind out the fiberglass from the chine area and an area under the bow. It needs new bulkhead bottoms, which also act as the seat frames, so I will probably build those from some oak and carefully re attach them through the bottom (and dig out the old screws). Replace that bad chine. Reglass all the new repairs, and figure out if there is some kind of coating to completely recoat the bottom. I figure I will add some rub rails the the rear part of the chine and the stringer about 8 inches above just to double the wood in those areas and for a bit of protection. Pick out a mahogany-ish red/brown for the sides, and I have some british racing green for the area below the waterline (and to paint the trailer with). Well thats all I have figured out so far....I'm sure I am missing a few things though. The motor runs, but will probably change the oil, rebuild the carb, and probably replace the pump impeller. You nailed it on the trailer...except the Caddy part, we have a 56 GMC stepside:D :D :D

Thanks again...Louie

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.