Planing hull question

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by graham, Dec 8, 2001.

1. graham

graham Junior Member

Hi Guys
    Can any one give me some insight to this question.
    Thanks in advance.
    I am designing and about to build a 17ft aluminum speed boat with extra long range capability.
    It is relatively heavy for its size with around 2274pounds displacement.
    It has full length planing strakes on the chines aprox six inches wide.
    It has fairly sharp entry following through to about 17deg dead rise at the transom.
    The design I like has a shoe on the keel which sees a flat section begin gently near the stem following all the way to the transom were it is a little over a foot wide and dead flat.
    Question Is this heel realy going to make the ride that much harder or have any undue sea keeping qualitys.
    The advantages seem high to me.
    It reduces my draft and should give me good dynamic lift and help to reduce HP required.
    My theory is that most of the wave piercing is happening at about one third to half way along the keel line so with the keel deep in the water.
    I think the industry also calls this a shoe.
    So whats it to be Shoe or conventional keel???

2. Admin

Admin Administrator

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.