Whiting 45 Info on Keel Fastenings required

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by yachtman, Nov 27, 2014.

1. yachtman

yachtman New Member

Can anyone help me find how the keel bolts are fastened in the lead keel on my Paul Whiting designed Whiting 45 (1982)
    I wish to drop the keel - inspect the keel bolts but I do not know how they are fastened into the lead keel .
    Any information on this much appreciated

2. Moggy

Moggy Senior Member

Aren't they cast into the lead with nuts on top? Just slacken the nuts... don't you?

3. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Usually you take off the nuts from the inside of the boat. They should be J hooks cast into the lead.

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

They are likely J hooks and addressed in the typical fashion. I wouldn't drop the keel, unless you have to. Most of the time what is done is, the travel lift has the yacht in slings, while a forklift has the ballast casting, then the nuts are backed off enough to inspect the threads. If you have concerns, the forklift lowers the casting, breaking the sealant line around it's perimeter, for bedding and further inspecting. If all goes well, the top of the ballast is cleaned,along with the bottom of the boat, new bedding is installed and the ballast is hoisted back up or more commonly, the boat is simply lowered onto the ballast and the new nuts run back down.

J hooked bolt can't be removed, without recasting the ballast (really costly). Some boats do have through bolts, though not very often. I don't have much information on this Paul Whiting design though have some on "Magic Bus" which is considerably smaller.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.