Michalak Jon20 as a platform for a motor cruiser

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by jbo_c, Jul 17, 2017.

1. jbo_c

jbo_c Junior Member

Thinking about doing a modified version of Jon20 as a cruiser this winter. Primary modification would be to make the stern a mirror of the bow to use her at displacement speeds.

Protected water(obviously) and a 10 horse classic motor are the plan.

This boat is exactly the spirit I'm thinking. This one was set up for sail, but I have no intention of sailing. Motor-cruising only. Driven from the front with a push-pull stick.

When I have a little more time, I'll add a pick of my intended layout.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

Jbo

[​IMG]

2. messabout

messabout Senior Member

JBO, if the boat was designed as a sailboat, it is already a displacement hull. Why would you need or want to rearrange the bottom sections? Michelak designs are almost always well thought out and perfectly satisfactory as drawn. A ten HP outboard is more than you will need on such a boat. The ten will be merely loafing at hull speed which may be the point of such a selection.

3. jbo_c

jbo_c Junior Member

Guess I wasn't clear. Jon20 is designed as a planing hull. The one in the picture was made for sail. The masts just aren't up in the picture. I want a displacement hull.

Yeah, the 10 will be "too much". Probably a 3 or definitely a 6 would be enough, but a 9.9 is (I think) going to be the smallest classic motor I can get with remote start. That's the only reason I'd go with something that big.

Thanks for the reply. I'd started to think I started a dead thread. I've got time today, so I'll post my idea for layout.

Jbo

4. jbo_c

jbo_c Junior Member

Jon20 plan lines.

[​IMG]

5. jbo_c

jbo_c Junior Member

Don't know if this "layout" plan will make sense to anybody but me.

Boat Layout.png

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2017
  6. jbo_c

jbo_c Junior Member

Well, shoot. Can't seem to post it since it's not hosted somewhere else. You'll just have to trust me that I have a plan. :)

Jbo

7. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

That isn't a displacement hull, as you say, "mirroring" bow with stern will improve the resistance, but a slightly less abrupt upturn might be a little better. The virtue of the flat bottom is simplicity, but the boat pic in post #1 looks good, do you know what it is, and if there are plans ?

8. jbo_c

jbo_c Junior Member

I've not found much info about the boat in the pic other than a couple of other pics. And this response to an old thread on another forum:

"The design for the HESPERIA started with Thiel's APHASIA, a pedal-powered garvey that's in Seattle's Center for Wooden Boats fleet. I scaled it up and put some V in the forward sections. From there I worked up the accommodations as I went along. The cabin roof in the down position is just below eye level for visibility while rowing. The upper portion of the cabin pops up 11" for sitting headroom inside. There is a wood stove in the forward port corner of the cabin and a sink with hot and cold running water starboard. The floorboards can be set at seat level to make sleeping areas in the cabin and the cockpit.
    There's a sprit main, leg o' mutton mizzen and a balanced jib set on a club. The transom has a notch for a 2.5 hp 4-stroke outboard. There are thole-pin rowing stations in the cockpit, the cabin and on the cabin roof. A steering line from the tiller runs around the perimeter of the cabin and cockpit so the boat can be steered while under power from anywhere in the boat.
    As for plans, there are only the notes and sketches I made while mulling over ideas. The boat has turned out to have quite an appeal to folks who see it and I have given some thought to drawing up plans but haven't carved out the time to do that. "

I've looked all over for a plan that would suit my program that is a little saltier and haven't found one, so decided just using a basic 'barge' hull platform that I could customize to my own design is going to be the way to go. I agree that the boat in the pic is more aesthetically appealing than a plain flat shear jon, but functionally, there will be little, if any, advantage of the vee in the places I will use the boat.

I'm on vacation this week, so if my Jon20 plans arrive before I leave home, the hope is to build a scale model out of card stock while my family plays in the sand and surf.

Jbo

9. jbo_c

jbo_c Junior Member

Got my plans yesterday, so maybe I'll get a scale model done while I'm on vacation. What do you think would be a good card type stock to use for a 1/10(ish) scale model?

Jbo

10. jbo_c

jbo_c Junior Member

Got the plans and made a rough(no laughing) scale model based on the plans and my intended tweaks.

Attached Files:

srimes likes this.
  11. Mr Efficiency

Should be OK if there is little or no submerged transom, and 6 hp is probably enough.

12. jbo_c

jbo_c Junior Member

No submerged transom. Have more pics but can't get them to load.

Jbo

13. jbo_c

jbo_c Junior Member

Here.

14. jbo_c

jbo_c Junior Member

And here.

Attached Files:

15. Mr Efficiency

Seeing your accommodation structure is well aft, you may find it sits down a little at the stern. Don't overdo the weight back there.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.