What Kind of Future is There....

Discussion in 'Education' started by Seafra, Sep 12, 2006.

1. Seafra

Seafra Sailing Nerd

In yacht design, boatbuilding, or both!

Should I expect a desk job somewhere rotting away till it's time to retire? Or alternatively, should I, as a hypothetical boatbuilder, expect to work with other disenchanted blue collars who are all pissed that they're stuck in a dead end on the aforementioned desk jockey's payscale- building yachts that they'll ironically never afford.

Are there a lot of disillusioned dreamers in the boating industry?

Or maybe I could fulfill the American dream and strike out on my own with only my unwavering determination and wits to support me. Perhaps more dreams.

Aren't there just a few hundred(thousand) too many people idly thinkin'- "what if I just set out and build my own boats, surely people would buy them- I could make it BIG doing what I LOVE"?

2. longliner45

longliner45 Senior Member

yes and yes

3. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

Too many?

Too many, probably, but if ya dont give it a go you'll never know, I've been building & repairing for 25+ years & still love it, often its a matter of perspective, we'll often have to do some pretty onerous tasks like grinding/ overhead glass work etc but if you set out to do it the best/develop good skills, practice & attitude you can go home happy & proud of a job well done, just "try & strive & never give up" & you'll be sweet.Regards from Jeff.:)

4. westlawn5554X

westlawn5554X STUDENT

There is alot in design and future if you weld them together. You can study yachts design and become a broker, accountant for yachts company, logistic, surveyor, forensic like eric:), ..... and just purely as a hobby and sail a nice small boat:)

5. Seafra

Seafra Sailing Nerd

I'd like to be involved in that which provides me the most flexibility and promise doing what I love. Unfortunately, the tendency of the age is to pigeonhole people quickly into a middle class job that they'll spend their whole life at- comfortable but not particularly motivated in their employment.

Entrepeneurship is a dirty word I think, and it's often overused. Sure, I'll 'fess up to it- my dream would be to make a good living building classically styled yachts using both new and old techniques that are affordable. But the strong chance is that I can have all sorts of dreams, and still end up working somewhere without the possibility of advancement- comfortable yet discontent.

Yea, I'm certainly guilty of my share of dreams, but reality is a harsh mistress. Still, it's hard not to wonder.