Which velvet drive is the right one form my application?

Discussion in 'Inboards' started by mongo75, Sep 13, 2007.

1. mongo75

mongo75 Senior Member

I'm going to put a Chrysler 440 in a 25' Luhrs, and I read somewhere that the velvet drive 71 is good up to 350 cu. in., and the 72 is good up to 500 cu. in. Is that true, or can I use a 71 with a 440 with no bad effects?

2. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

I am not a velvet drive expert. I was looking at buying some a couple a few years ago for my boat and this is what I discovered.
    There are many models within 71, 72 familes, with different torque ratings and gear ratios. True, the cubic inches is related to HP but more important is torque of engine, also drive shaft size, props etc... will effect whether a particular model will work with which.

I ended went with a Twin-disc because I needed counter-rotation and more torque with my props.

Hope this help you and that somewhat else will give you more specifics

3. mongo75

mongo75 Senior Member

It sorta does- I just can't afford to blow up a tranny due to my lack of knowledge.

"Knowing is half the battle" G.I. Joe

4. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

5. mongo75

mongo75 Senior Member

thanks- btw, are you a CG pilot?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.