Polyurea Coatings

Discussion in 'Materials' started by Ace Dragon, Aug 12, 2012.

1. Ace Dragon

Ace Dragon Polyurea and Spray Foam

I am an Industrial Polyurea applicator becuase I have fallen in love with Polyurea.
    We have created the First coating to stand up to the silt filled ice of Cook Inlet, Alaska.
    NO Ad - we are just happy to talk Polyurea. Any one interested in Polyurea?

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Is this a foam spray for insulation?

3. Ace Dragon

No, it is a plastic and has many different uses. Each use has to be spec'ed out for the correct polyurea.

4. Steve W

Steve W Senior Member

I had a Bra sprayed on the front of my VW Westfalia camper with Polyurea,looks good and protects it from stone chips, so far so good.

Steve.

5. Ace Dragon

Color fading is a problem with lots of polyurea's.

All of the Polyurea I have used so far fade over a few years. There are others that are said to hold their color very well. The strength of the ploy is not affected by the color change and it can be painted.
    The K5 poly from Specialty Products Inc. (SPI) is a very hard product and is what I am using for high wear / high impact service.
    Seems every company has one of these products.
    Your Bra could out last the rest of the camper.
    Being on a camper, the metal is so thin, they probably could only rough up the paint. That is the procedure for a pickup bed liner and we all know they hold up well.

I like to sand blast to get the best profile but so far we do the normal procedure for pickup beds.
    Man, I love talking Poly. I love all boats too.

6. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Are you using a high cyanoacetate cure polyurethane?

7. Ace Dragon

Spec sheets are listed on Specialty Products Inc. web page.

All spec's can be found for each of their products and I get extra additives mixed in to help with UV and adhesion.
    The chemist are always coming up with different products and additives, so for industrial projects I always go back to them for them to pick the right product. They will and are at this time coming up with a new chemical for a job I hope to get on the North Slope of Alaska where temps will be -60 deg F and wind up to 120 mph. Coating needs to still flex with a portable building when it is lifted twice a year for oil well rework.
    www.specialty-products.com
    I think that is their web site.

8. Steve W

Steve W Senior Member

Your right about the fading, we used black and it pretty quickly went dull which for me is preferable, i didnt like the shine when it was new. I had a regular vinyl bra on there to protect the very vertical front from stone chips but there was always leaves and stuff between it and the body. I did the prep work and masked it off and a customer whose boat i was working on sprayed about 1/8" of polyurea on it, thats what he did for a business. His plan was to spray the planked deck of his Stonington trawler with polyurea but never got to it.

Steve.

9. idkfa

idkfa Senior Member

I'd like to use in a female mould, a replacement for gel-coat in an epoxy laminate application.

Any ideas on ease of release, or even pre-release? Adhesion with the subsequent laminate or epoxy primers?

Might Staingard 6000 be up to the job? Its application does not require Graco plural component spray equipment type.

Finally from what I've read, "aliphatics have better UV resistance than aromatics."

tks, idkfa

Attached Files:

10. Ace Dragon

we have srayer in to molds covered with plastic.

I too am interested in doing mold work. I know of a very large company that builds Water Parks. They are using polyurea in place of gel coat. They are looking for longer color stability and like the testing they have done with polyurea.
    The word "Polyurea" is a technology and not a item or product. There are many different polyurea chemicals out there and even hybrids of polyurea.
    The only association I know for polyurea is found at www.pda-online.org.
    Their web site has a place to get questions answered from some of the top people in the field.
    Aromatics are all that I have used so far. We did paint a blue color over our black K5 polyurea just last month. I will be doing more of this as time goes on.

11. jonr

jonr Senior Member

What are some examples of boat related uses? Can I drape Dyneema fabric over a frame (skin on frame) or lost foam mold (inflatable) and then spray it with Polyurea?

12. Ace Dragon

Boat uses for polyuea.

We are applying it to 200 ft boats for ice protection. NO other coating has held up to Cook INlet , our's did.
    We are applying polyurea to aluminum hull bottoms for Rock protection - river jet boats.
    Polyurea does not stick to plastic or gel coat. Fiberglass boats would have to have the gel coat removed, then shoot the polyurea on to the rough surface.
    I do not know what Dyneene fabric is. We do apply polyurea to a Geo Fabric to make ponds or secondary containment for chemical containment.
    Pickup bed liners are the low end of the polyurea family. I work in what is refered to the High Performance Polyureas, meaning our equipment is higher pressure and different gun to make a higher strength coating than a bed liner.

13. Petros

Petros Senior Member

Can fine aggregate be added to it so it can be used on walking surfaces, like decks? Seems it might make a tough and weather proof deck coating if it can be made so it is not slippery.

14. Ace Dragon

When I mention what I am doing - it is not trying to get business. We are in Nikiski Alaska, I do not believe any on this site is going to come to us for polyurea.
    If there is a problem with what I say, just let me know. I do not need hassels form this site.
    I like talking boats and I like talking polyurea, simple as that.

15. bntii

bntii Senior Member

Many professionals post here Ace- some provide their company name and personal information while experience in their particular field 'speaks for itself', and may contribute to attracting clients.
    Nothing is inappropriate in your postings by specifically stating the nature of your business and the expertise you have developed. If your company was closer to some of our recreational boating centers you may well develop some clients from this forum- and good for you if you do.

If you have a website- put the URL in you signature.
    Photos of your work would be of interest to most me thinks.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.