Small cabins/pilot house

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by thatone123, Dec 13, 2016.

1. thatone123

thatone123 Junior Member

Hi all, new to site. Have built a few small boats over the years and at it once again. Actually I have a boat that someone gave up on and I got it for a good price. It is a Bolger Diablo. I want to build a small low cuddy cabin and connected pilot house on the boat. Building ideas or photos seem scare here and on the net. Anyone have any ideas where any can be found. Connecting the walk around on the sides of the cabin so that they will support and persons weight and the cuddy roof scantlings attachments for the roof are what I am after. Thanks.

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Welcome to the forum.

I'd strongly advise against the additions you envision to your Diablo. This hull form doesn't take well, to placing weight very high up. A small, low cuddy is possible, but the pilothouse and walk around areas, will just test the boat's stability, probably quite dramatically (you'll get wet).

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your intentions, can you post a sketch of what you'd like to do?

3. thatone123

thatone123 Junior Member

Thanks

Yes, thanks, I also have read that on the Duckworks site about this boat in particular. I have lowered it in the photo as much as possible. I will try to get the photo on here.

4. thatone123

thatone123 Junior Member

Photo

Excuse the laughable photo shop job. Here is my "plan".

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 21, 2016
  5. thatone123

thatone123 Junior Member

photo

Here is another possibility of what I want to do. (Pocket Skiff Cruiser) I might put a sandbag or 2 in the bottom middle of boat for ballast and make the cabin light out of 1/4 ply.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 21, 2016
  6. Oyster

Oyster Senior Member

No way I would do what you are saying. First off building the add on sturdy enough for a walk around is not an option when looking at it from a safety stand point of view. That boat would run bow down for starters. The boat does not have enough reserve buoyancy in the bow or even the bottom to handle such an addition. At best I would create a simple canvas or sumbrella dodger. Then look for another boat. I understand what you are attempting to do, as I know most of the boats up that way have full enclosures. And the favorites are mostly aluminum too. So look around and maybe find something used with the configuration on it . my .02 worth anyway.

7. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

Are these things as tippy as they look ? The artistic impression of the wheelhouse suggests the driver needs to be about 3' 6" tall. The cuddy not for claustrophobics.

8. tom28571

tom28571 Senior Member

Yes, although they are good if handled well and not overpowered. A walk around cabin is not advisable or maybe even possible. You can build it but not actually walk around it. Try walking around on the gunnel first, after putting on your long thermal undies and a dry suit.

Paul D likes this.
  9. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

I was going to suggest maybe a small doghouse cabin at the back of the boat as they do for quahog/clam boats in Rhode Island, such as this...

[​IMG].

Here's a Diablo fitted out with a small cabin...

http://bolgerdiablobuild.blogspot.com/2012_11_01_archive.html

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://bolgerdiablobuild.blogspot.com/2012_11_01_archive.html

It would have to be very lightweight, pretty low, as in sitting room only and you have to watch out for engine fumes so you don't kill yourself.

I've seen jonboats for transporting a bunch of hunters rigged up with the 'Birdwatcher' type walk through roof with a closable hatch/roof. That keeps the people weight in the center while standing. Such as this (except they sat on bench seats)...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://rosslillistonewoodenboat.blogspot.com/2012/10/potpurrri.html

10. The Q

The Q Senior Member

You could do a quality job like this:)

Attached Files:

11. thatone123

thatone123 Junior Member

small cabin

I will try to reply to all of the questions. Yes, I think the walk around is a little much and that was not the original plan. A low cabin would let me crawl across the top to handle the anchor if necessary. I've had larger boats before, but my favorite and most fun was the 14' C-dory. It is the smallest C-dory and not many to be had. With the 25 hp Honda I could cruise all day on 10 gallon tank of gas. I am very experienced in small boats of many types. I modified the 14' C-Dory so that 2 could sleep in the small cuddy. This small boat had the latest Furuno Nav-net system with radar. I really like efficiency. A number of much larger boat owners at the dock said things like "You have the right idea there, simple, easy and inexpensive". This was when fuel prices were hitting the roof. Commercial fishing boats would see me way out on the water as come along side asking if I needed help. lol I can afford a much larger boat, but this type of thing is my interest. I had given up on salt water boats, this one just came along for next to nothing in expense, so here I am again. I especially have a lot of experience in small duck boats, which I love. Here is a photo of my latest idea.

Attached Files:

12. thatone123

thatone123 Junior Member

change

Yes, I have taken the advice here an now plan to build out to the gunnels and not have the walk around. I will have an anchor (done this on another boat) with the anchor rope coming back to the aft cabin where I can deploy anchor without going to the bow. Not having the walk around will give me more needed cabin space and more easy to build I think. There is a low seat already built into the boat that will give me low seating at the helm and make possible the low cabin. And keep a low center of gravity. Finally found a net photo of a good design for this. Some of these ideas come from sailboats. The high sides will be great for bigger seas. Anyone have an idea for how to get rid of any possible water that comes into the boat. In the past I used a high capacity bilge pump (never needed it) Scuppers will not work. Maybe a thru hull transom plug?

Attached Files:

13. thatone123

thatone123 Junior Member

Sam

Yes, I like that photo and love work boats. Grew up on the Chesapeake bay, which had some of the best work boat designs like the Dead rise skiff, the Skipjack, and etc. On the old work boats that had real small cabins the watermans saying was why use space for cabins that can be used for product. Tough guys in those days!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.