Exporting rhino model into delftship?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Tcubed, Sep 23, 2009.

1. Tcubed

Tcubed Boat Designer

I've searched the forum for an answer but was not able to find an answer yet so i'll just ask.

I'm trying to get to grips with michlet.
    So far i can get a hull from delftship into michlet no problem since it has a purpose made export option for that - very easy.

I do almost all my work in Rhino though.

So how do i export a design from rhino into delftship?

Any pointers (which format to which format? Or file ext. to file ext?) Would be greatly appreciated.

2. Tcubed

Tcubed Boat Designer

Update ;

I got a design into delftship from rhino using file ext. .vrml.

Problem is now it does not allow me to export to michlet (option in light gray).

Surely there is some simple thing i have to do which will allow exporting to Michlet.

3. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

Did you try saving the file as an .fmb or delftship file before trying to export?

If you did that then try and export it as a .part and reimport and resave as an .fmb

4. Martijn_vE

Martijn_vE Marine software developer

Check your settings for the maindimensions
    If it doesn't help, see if you can calculate hydrostatics. If the results are all zero the model has one or more leak points.

5. Tcubed

Tcubed Boat Designer

Export as .part?
    .part is not an available option in the pulldown menu on the 'export selected' window. I tried typing in .part to force it but it rhino will only accept one of the extension options in the list. The list is long but i can't see .fmb nor .part.

All i' ve managed to find that appears in both rhino and delftship is .txt and .vrml.

In both cases, when i have the design imported into delftship it removes the export to michlet option.

It must be something obvious that i'm missing but it's frustrating right now.

6. Tcubed

Tcubed Boat Designer

Ok

crossed posts , let me check that now.

There ' s no leaks when i have it in rhino, i've already sorted that out.

7. Tcubed

Tcubed Boat Designer

Say, maybe it makes a difference if there's no deck on the model?

In rhino it has no leaks and hyrostatics compute. The only free edge is the gunwale.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.