1920's sailboat restoration project

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by BMH, Sep 12, 2006.

1. BMH

BMH Junior Member

Identify design/designer

I was over at a friend's when I spotted this boat behind his shed. I loved the lines and asked him to let me know if he ever wanted to get rid of her. His response was "It's yours." Now the fun begins.

I am starting to do the research and not having much luck identifying the design and possible designer. Anyone have any ideas?

The boat built in the 1920's and is in ruff shape. The upper decks are punky and the keel supports have rotted out though the upper hull planks appear OK. I will find out how extensive the damage is when I start restoring her. I will be patterning all the parts and putting her lines into CAD drawings. Maybe build a copy later.

Will be looking to these forums for advice as I go and glad to have found them.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 17, 2006
    1 person likes this.
  2. Kraftwerk

Kraftwerk walking the plank

wow! how is it going?

can someone help this guy?

3. BMH

BMH Junior Member

After app. 200 hrs of internet searches, emails to the Oakville historical society, posts on wooden boat forum and chasing up leads from various post there, I know about as much about her as when I started. Nothing. I am not ready to give up yet though. I will probably have to go to Oakville and check things out at the local museums and marinas for a lead.

Any ideas would be appreciaed.

Barry

Additional photos

http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/showthread.php?t=13731&page=2

Last edited: Feb 5, 2007
  4. DanishBagger

DanishBagger Never Again

To me, it looks somewhat like a skerry cruiser (skærgårdskrydser) - with a shortened aft end.

Any chance it might be from scandinavia, or inspired by one of those?

5. DanishBagger

DanishBagger Never Again

6. BMH

BMH Junior Member

The boat was built in Ontario. It looks more like a short, fat, sonder boat more than anything else I have found so far. Here are some pics from the late 50's and poloriods from late 70's. The give a better idea what she should look like.

Attached Files:

7. charmc

charmc Senior Member

She's a real beauty. That's a pretty tall rig, and it looks like she might be fast in light to moderate airs.

I've seen older sailboats with similar lines, particulary that nearly flat bottom, in the Northeastern US. All very good sailors. What are the dimensions?

If I find out anything I'll let you know.

8. BMH

BMH Junior Member

From what I have been told there wasn't a boat in the area that could catch her.
    LOA 25' 9"
    LWL 18' 6" (BEST GUESS)
    BEAM 7'4"
    DRAFT 3' 10"

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.