My first boat building project! The adventure begins !

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by Vulkyn, Sep 25, 2010.

1. Vulkyn

Vulkyn Senior Member

My first boat building project (Strip planking)! The adventure begins !

Well after some time running around the post office my plans finally arrived!

This is gona be tough since it will not only be my first build, but my first experience with wood, wood work and almost everything else.

To help i have bought strip planking boat construction along with the wonderful help from every one.

I will try to document everything in here and post pics of the build!

So .... my little adventure starts ... along with my dreams of owning a boat i built by my own hands !

Last edited: Sep 30, 2010
  2. Vulkyn

Vulkyn Senior Member

Well here is how the boat SHOULD look like ..... i posted them for future comparison :D

Attached Files:

3. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

Good to hear you're finally about to get started. Good luck, and we expect lots of pictures.

4. apex1

apex1 Guest

I am sure that is how she WILL look like in the end!

Have success, luck is not sufficient.

5. sean-nós

sean-nós Senior Member

6. Vulkyn

Vulkyn Senior Member

Thanks for the vote of confidence !
    I am going through the strip planking book and man i am having problems ... the terms are so alien to me ... im compiling a printed list of boat terms just to be able to have an idea what is what! Its overwhelming !!
    I found a company that can cut the mold for the jig using a router cutting machine.

I compiled a list of possible wood to use based on feedback from Bautue and Richard ...

WRC
    Afromosia, Douglas fir,,
    Sitka Spruce,
    Sapele,
    Redwood,
    Kapur,
    Larch,
    Guarea *
    Mulbery

Mahogany, Khaya in Africa
 close to Mahog.
    Pines

More phone calls to chase down suppliers ... i also got 1 KG of epoxy from CMB as a trial. will wait for wood then do some tests as advised in my 6.8 meter boat post!

On a side note, i received the OD16 plans from Beatue as well ... have to say big difference and so much more information much better organization as well.

7. Petros

Petros Senior Member

The strength and properties of the woods you listed varies quite a lot (as much as 40 to 50 percent), and in typical strip planking, most of the strength comes from the the fiberglassing of the completed assembly. Therefore I suggest you consider what wood is most commonly available in your area. Some of those woods you listed have to be shipped from a long distance to your location, adding considerably to your costs.

Any reasonably light, clear straight grained wood can be used as long as it bonds well with the adhesives and resins you will be using. Anything and everything has been used in boat building, even reeds and bamboo, so any local quality lumber should work just fine, and save you quite a bit of cost.

Good project, have fun with it.

8. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

With the research you have done and continue to do, I am sure you will bring this project to a successful conclusion.
    Best wishes on your endeavor.

9. Vulkyn

Vulkyn Senior Member

Thx for the kind words !!I just need to keep on pushing !!

Petros that is sound advice, what i will do is find what is available and choose the most cost effective wood with the best physical properties based on the list above.

So far the favor is with Mulberry (as pointed out by Apex in my other post).
    I am compiling a list of wood suppliers and will start calling them next week then i will be able to make a decision.

The shelter i was able to find a supplier that can build a green house metal structure with waterproof cloth (10 meters x 8 meters) at around 1500$.
    No welding involved just metal pipes fitted and arced with longitudinal and side enforcement. I will do some research and see if i can get it built myself at a cheaper cost.

10. liki

liki Senior Member

Vulkyn, which design is that, is that Selway-Fisher?

11. Vulkyn

Vulkyn Senior Member

12. wardd

wardd Senior Member

making it with the cabin?

13. Vulkyn

Vulkyn Senior Member

Based on what assumption are you asking this question? Does a cabin version exist? Or are you asking if i will modify it ?

14. wardd

wardd Senior Member

it shows a cuddy cabin

Attached Files:

15. Vulkyn

Vulkyn Senior Member

That's not the lobster 15 boat mate ... Check my pics at the top of my post ....

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.