Which is the better way to laminate transom?

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by Skua, Sep 17, 2014.

1. Skua

Skua Senior Member

The transom has multiple shallow angles, hence the number of core sections. Each core section is seperated by an epoxy line, as are the stringers. The section in the pictures is 110 inches wide by 38 inches high, and at the center is 2 layers 3/4 MDO, with epoxy and glass fibers for a bond layer. The rest is 3/4 BCX, with the corner triangles 3/8 BCX. The outer skin varies from 3/4 at the bottom to 3/8 at the top of the core, where it kicks back towards the stern, and then from there appears to be a single layer of very heavy roven woving .

I'm using 2400 triax and epoxy, 24in wide. I was wondering if horizontaly or verticaly would be the way to go, with a 6in tab onto the hull and gunnels.

Attached Files:

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

With the triax it doesn't make much of a difference. I think the original was probably done with a chopper gun, so the repair is structurally much better either way.

3. Skua

Skua Senior Member

I was leaning toward verticaly as it would be smaller sheets to deal with. And I'm not sure that it was even that good. It was really thin mat, it peeled back like a sheet of paper.

4. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

You should be able to do it in one piece. However, if it is not convenient, make the pieces slightly larger than each panel and let them overlap.

5. Skua

Skua Senior Member

Thank you.