Which is best?

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by Blitzburgh, Jun 24, 2007.

1. Blitzburgh

Blitzburgh New Member

I'm a newbie here and hope this question is appropriate...not only for this Forum but also this website. Here goes...

I'm new to boating. We're moving to Fernadina Beach, Florida and we've decided we want an Express Cruiser. We're more into a relaxed boating mode rather than a speed boat yet moving fast to accomodate a tube/whatever is necessary for the grandchildren who'll visit us.

It seems the size boat that would best accomodate us and our budget is a 27 to 32 footer. Question...which is best? Now before answering, please understand...

We've owned RV's and am seeing some real similarities between RV's and boats. That said...which is better, diesel or gas? In an RV, for me at least, it was a no brainer....Diesel! Yet it seems that limited use in a diesel boat isn't a good thing. Also, diesel boats are slower. As to the latter, the acceleration of a diesel RV was slower than gas though better/stronger once one is moving on the Interstate. Is that the case with a boat as well? Bottom line...from what I read it seems a gas engine for an Express Cruiser would be better than a diesel...true?

The other thing is, I never like to buy anything brand new. I see depreciation in boats takes a big whack just as they do in RV's. Generally, I like to get something that's 2 or 3 years old. I also see there are plenty of quality Express Cruiser's out there for sale but would like to know how effective a "marine inspector" is in determining the overall condition? What other resources are out there to help a novice buyer be sure they're getting a high quality, nearly new-like boat?

Also, when buying an RV, I refer to NADA for determining the value. Because the market is flooded with RV's...just as are boats...I never factor in the RV's options in determining final dollar value. I simply go to the RV in question and click on the value. I then see what the "Low Retail" NADA value is and look for the highest quality RV below that price. And believe me...there are plenty of them out there. Is the same true with boats? (Please, if you're a dealer, I'm sure what your answer will be but am looking for the reality of it all)

With all the above in mind...which boat manufacturer is best? I see J.D. Powers awarded it's "best" to the Regal express cruiser for 2007. Is J.D. Powers a good judge? If so, can the same be said for a 2004 Regal express cruiser? Someone told me Cobalts are the best yet they seem very pricey...true?

Any and all input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

PS If I'm on the wrong Forum/website...humble apologies. Any suggestions where I could ask the above questions? Please provide links if true. Thanks again.

2. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Welcome aboard boatdesign.net, and yes you are on the right forum :)

Regarding your first question, gas vs. diesel:
    Advantages of gas: Cheaper initial cost.
    Advantages of diesel: Safer, more efficient, better all-round performance.
    The decision is a no-brainer if you're thinking of getting serious use out of the boat. Gas engines are usually specified in this type of boat only when it's going to be sitting at the dock all the time, with the occasional very short, fast run around the lake.
    A boat that size won't be much fun to ski/tube behind. Consider going for a slower, much more economical large boat, and a second boat- a 17' outboard- for watersports and running about. The big slow economical boat plus the little cheap fast boat, will probably add up to less initial cost and less operating cost, than the single large fast boat. You can buy a very nice 17' outboard runabout for about the same cost as rebuilding one fried engine in a 32' express.
    You'll be thrilled to go fast the first trip. After your first stop at the fuel dock you'll wish you got a more efficient boat. Look for something that is efficient and handles well at low speeds (displacement mode) and on a slow plane, many express cruisers are fat, tail-heavy pigs that only perform well near full throttle.
    A thorough once-over by a good, trustworthy surveyor is essential. Some of these boats are built very well, with solid fibreglass construction and high-quality motors, and will run for decades. Others are built of chopper-gun muck over waterlogged plastic foam with cheap, overloaded engines that need rebuilding every 400 hours. They will both look like equally shiny white fibreglass. The surveyor and his instruments can tell the difference.
    There's no shortage of used express cruisers. People buy them, use them, and love them, until they have to feed them and rebuild their motors. Then they go up for sale. It doesn't hurt to budget for an engine rebuild right from the start, because if a powerboat is cheap its engines are probably clapped-out or nearly so.
    There is no "best" or "worst" brand and no award that claims there is, is worth the paper it's printed on. The best boat is the one that fits your needs, your wants and your budget. Make a list of the features you need, the features you want, the features you can do without, and prioritize them. This will help to narrow down the options.
    One of the more famous yacht surveyors, David Pascoe, has written an excellent series of free articles on inspecting and purchasing used boats, http://www.yachtsurvey.com/articleslist.htm .

2 people like this.
  3. Blitzburgh

Blitzburgh New Member

Excellent reply Matt...many thanks.

4. tom28571

tom28571 Senior Member

Questions like this usually bring out a whole library of answers. Matt, you covered everything essential in one. Great!

5. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

I would vote for a gas engine. Boats in Fl seldom get worn out, they just die a slow death from unused in some slip.

The gas engine is faster , lighter and far far easier to ignore.

I know of NO diesel eng Mfg that does not have a long and detailed complex (and pricy) Storage for over 30 days procedure.
    Many gallons of oil , worries about fuel contamination , parts that are 5X as expensive ane the need for Skilled mechanics puts diesels out for a day boat.

Sure if you are running thousands of hours a year diesels make sense, but for a 100hrs or even 200,, and months and months of lack of use , its GAS that wins.

A completely rebuilt gas engine or new block starts at $2500 ,, an overhaul on a diesel will run $10K for the same hp.

The Pascoe book is FIRST purchase, for sure!

Boats are awash in FL , most can be had WELL below (25% ) northern prices.

FF

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.