Which Hydrofoil ?

Discussion in 'Propulsion' started by Aberdeen, Jan 19, 2006.

1. Aberdeen

Aberdeen Junior Member

Trying to choose a hydrofoil from between:

Permatrim - LZ Lalizas

To fit 20HP Honda

Last edited: Jan 21, 2006
  2. trouty

trouty Guest

I think theres another

Dole Phin ?

Really tho - isn't a larger vent plate (which is essentially what the type of fin your describing really is) just trying to cure a lack of planing surface area issue?

Are you having trouble getting over the planing wedge?

Can you re-distribute weight in the boat to help her get over the hump?

Can you change (reduce) prop pitch, (and increase prop diameter) to give you more bight on the water (alter the speed at which slippage precludes achieving planing speed?

Really speaking these after market add on foils - aare just trying to cure something basic thats wrong with the boats setup (IMHO).

No doubting they do help bad setups sometimes - but at what cost - reduced WOT speed - more drag less fuel economy etc etc etc.

Whats wrong with the boat that your trying to fix?

Is the Honda 20 Hp OB a downrated (de tuned) 25 or 30 Hp model? Can you alter the HP output by changing the Carby mounting plate for the larger model OB spare part and wring another 5 or 10 Hp out of it?

Heck - some of them just have a throttle stop to restrict WOT rpms - sometimes it's as simple as removing the throttle limiter stop!

I think you need to be very clear about what the problem is and what can be done to alter it BEFORE you start drilling holes in the vent plate to bolt on aftermarket magic cures.

Course - thats just my opinion. I'm not a great fan of those type foils - if they were necessary the OB manufacturer would include them on the OB when manufactured (again IMHO).

Cheers!

3. Aberdeen

Aberdeen Junior Member

Morning Trouty
    Probably more my weight combined with the motor weight. Really good things happen when I can get someone else up front but need to sort out using it without the need to borrow a mate at times. Have the battery up front, fuel amidship and me at the back......

Don't believe it is a detuned 25, different specs on that one. The 15 is a detuned 20hp as I understant it. Will speak with the Honda people in the next week or so and look at other alternatives...... e.g. prop. Can't trim the motor in any further. Just the bow rise with only me in it worries a novice, might just be I need to open the throttle out more but concerned I might flip the little thing...... will do some more research before deciding to drill or not.
    Thanks for your comments, has encouraged me to definitely look at other options.
    Glenn