Long and Slim, what about this one?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by D'ARTOIS, Oct 25, 2005.

1. D'ARTOIS

D'ARTOIS Senior Member

Any comment? This is a JS 9000 The beam is only 1.72

(from: clubracer.be)

Attached Files:

2. D'ARTOIS

D'ARTOIS Senior Member

Sailing Anarchy is singing her praise, the new invention of Australian Naval Architect John Swarbrick.
    An ultralight, 1500 lbs hull with 1000 lbs in the (very) deep keel.

Price? Under 30K!!!!!!

(pictures and photo from SA)

Attached Files:

3. cyclops

cyclops Senior Member

That IS a "Gentleman's Sailboat". Finally, the sail people are getting it right. It looks proportioned for a human being. And I love 2 seat "Gentleman's Race Boats". I would try her in a heartbeat.

4. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Guest

Js 9000

Great boat! But I wonder what a boat like her would do with 40% less ballast and a canting keel- or some other form of movable ballast?
    Would she still be a Gentlemans Sailboat" ?
    Huh?

5. sharpii2

sharpii2 Senior Member

Yep.

Woefully impractical. Way too deep. Where are you gonna sail this thing? In the middle of the ocean?

Where I live you would have to dredge a special channel for it to sail in. Not my idea of fun.

But I do like the way the keel is supported. If one is to go for that kind of keel, that's the way to do it. Pull the support for it deep into the hull, turning it into more of a cantilevered beam rather than expecting one poor bolt or weld line to support it.

For myself, I would take the same hull, put a fin keel on it that's half as deep, then trim the rig height by the same amount.

A 'gentleman's' schooner anyone? Or ketch?

Or

Dispence with the keel altogether and bolt on a pair of floats and cross beams for it then throw the rest of the weight buget into the bilge. Would cost less and may even be faster. Would be beachable and nominally trailerable too (after spending half a day dismantling the beams and floats, that is).

It seams to me that mono's are only practical within a rather narrow B/L range (0.25 to 0.40). After that, whatever you gain in hull efficiency is paid for with either reduced rig efficiencey or excessive draft.

Just my $0.02.

Bob

6. D'ARTOIS

D'ARTOIS Senior Member

Fact is Bob, that you are completely right - however, this is a fun boat. Nothing serious, no straing attached, a daysailor, ans any water that is deeper than the 7 or 8 feet, can host this boat.There are more people offering funsailors for a much higher price.
    If you ask me, "shall we go to England?" - I would say "why not?" ( a 110 NM from Dutch shore to e.g. Southwold).

So, I am not that pessimistic.

We know three of a kind ( I don't play poker, sometimes maybe) of sailors.
    1) the funsailors (society sailors) - they don't take anything serious; they complain about the quick abrasion of their Dubarry's;
    2) the racers - total different environment - rules, ratings, protests, gossip;
    3) the serious yachtsmen - for them, sailing is more than a lifestyle rather than a hobby. I know already quite a few in this forum who are the real addicts, who are - or could be - the generation populating our future waterworld.

Bob, I f I have a chance, and I would like to thank you for the kind words you have said in another thread/post, again, if I have a chance you will be very welcome on my boat and I am pretty sure that you will finally belong to the last category as so many of the Forum - whether or not registered.
    The JS9000 might be just a station in between the serious beginner, later on becoming a serious engaged admirer of yachting.

The bad things of the sea, you will forget reasonably quickly, but remember that beautiful morning when you rounded Cabo São Vicente, sailing along the green and glass-clear sea along the Algarve.

Sailing Bob, is living in another world, another planet.

7. cyclops

cyclops Senior Member

3 posts and it modified so much, no one would reconize it ever again.

8. D'ARTOIS

D'ARTOIS Senior Member

That's not too bad, it happens all the time....

9. cyclops

cyclops Senior Member

" I love this boat. Do the following 20 changes to it. "

10. Skippy

Skippy Senior Member

Reminds me of Francis Chichester's Gypsy Moth IV: narrow beam, plum bow/sharp forefoot. Developed a terrible lee helm when heeled.

11. D'ARTOIS

D'ARTOIS Senior Member

It is a well established fact that Sir Francis did not have a good word for the Illingworth/Camper & Nicholson exercise. However, he made it, received his knighthood and what can you say more?

The JS 9000, as one claims, sails very neutral on the helm - of course this is 2nd or 3rd hand testimony, I have it from the corresponding sites, ok, you have to find out the truth hen you can sail her yourself. For the moment, as I see it, it's a fun boat - unless somebody makes something more out of this design.

12. cyclops

cyclops Senior Member

I have to agree with Sharpii on the keel being a hassel for trailer types. A break 18 " down should be doable once the loading at that point is known from the designer. Otherwise, the one time emperical overdesign is in order. A " lap " cutting, or a tongue and groove of robust dimensions. About 12" long and filling any center hollows with heavy cloth and Epoxy. Thru bolted with 3 - 3/4" bolts should preserve all the handling and safety originaly designed in. That would allow removal or a jump over the side with a lifting rope. The keel could then be lowered on the trailer to prevent chafing the hull finish. Self locking nuts and spares are obvious. Obviously, 1 thru bolt at the top would ALWAYS be left in , tight or loose.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.