Coating of Fuel Tanks...

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by blueyachtr, Sep 15, 2005.

1. blueyachtr

blueyachtr New Member

Imagine a 40 m.motoryacht,hull is steel and superstructure is aluminium.We have decided to paint inside of the fuel tanks (just for the top of the tanks)Is painting of fuel tanks a productive application in long term?Is there anyone tried this application?

2. mastcolin

mastcolin Senior Member

tanks

Most of big yards (Holland) I've worked at don't bother. The reasoning is that they are normally always full and the fuel is pretty clean these days.

Speak to International/Hempels etc.

It is possible but do not buy wrong product by trying to read a web site etc. If you buy the wrong stuff, it will be a nighmare (expensive).

I'd be wary of only painting the tops. You must have bare edge at some point, it may start to peel away. You may have to do all or nothing, but as I said, speak to real experts (not us, sorry for insulting any tank coating experts on-line)

3. blueyachtr

blueyachtr New Member

Mastcolin;

Thanks for your kindly reply.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.