Which BV rules for a yacht?

Discussion in 'Class Societies' started by Celine, Jan 18, 2006.

1. Celine

Celine Junior Member

Hello !!

I would like to make a study to compare different alloys in using the BV rules for a small yacht, let's say 15m. Which rules are you using for this kind of boat? The Rules for the Classification of Steel Ships applied to an aluminium one? seems to be more for cargo, ro-ro ships... or Hull structure design – Aluminium alloy ships (Ch 12) (03/1996)? or another one?
    Thanks for your help.

Celine

2. D'ARTOIS

D'ARTOIS Senior Member

Hello Celine,

In Holland, where a large number of aluminium boats are build, specific rules do not excist.
    For example, ABS is the nearest classifyer for ships over 20 metres, and Lloyds will also approve of hull material, in this respect aluminium.

The grades of aluminium that are used in yachtbuilding are well known to you.

Hull: AlMg 4,5 Mn - Deck and Superstructure AlMg 5Mn are the common two aluminium alloys that are used.

The main supplier of aluminium is Corus but also Israel provides through their agent in Holland lot's of profiles.

Aluminium Industry "Vaassen " used to supply windowframes, deckhatches and toerails. If they still excist I am not familiar with.

3. Sander Rave

Sander Rave Senior Member

I can provide you with a wide range of aluminum suppliers, also for marine use. Just let me know if you are interrested.

4. Celine

Celine Junior Member

SANDER RAVE, many thanks for your proposal. But for the moment, I am not looking for an aluminium supplier. I am just doing some calculations.

D'ARTOIS, many thanks for your reply. I know that in holland it is mostly LR (rules for special service craft) or ABS (rules for motoryacht and/or offshore racing yacht) that are used. But in France it seems to be more BV but I do not which BV rules exactly.
    Does somebody have an idea? I think it is "Hull structure design – Aluminium alloy ships (Ch 12) (03/1996)" but I am not sure.

5. Windvang

Windvang Yacht Designer

It looks like they use CE (ISO) regulations for yachts.

Certification of recreational crafts & related equipment with respect to Recreational Craft Directive (R.C.D.)

Definition:
    European Directive 94/25/CE
    Type of service: Certification; Conformity Assessment
    Contact Email: michael.gay-capdevielle@bureauveritas.com

6. Raggi_Thor

Raggi_Thor Nav.arch/Designer/Builder

You could also have a look at DNV, "Tentative rules for certification and classification of boats", 1997. It covers steel, aluminium and composite (grp, solid laminate and sandwich).

7. D'ARTOIS

D'ARTOIS Senior Member

I think they do not apply to small craft. As long as I see that some designers are walking on the narrow edge of what is feasible, I do not believe that certain rules apply - in any case not to my knowledge. According the used material - yes, they do. But that is a sinecure.

8. Tanguy

Tanguy Naval architect

"Réglement pour la classification des navires en acier-partie B-coque et stabilité-chap 5-6-7-8"
    Pour comparer différents alliages, ca devrais être le chap 6 (le chapitre 5 étant dédié aux charges d'échantillonnage).
    En fait le BV ne fait que traduire de manière "simplifié", accordé à son expérience de la construction navale (traduit par des coef de sécurité) les équation de la RDM. Donc même si le titre parle d'acier, tu peux appliquer l'utilisation des alliages d'aluminium en changeant les paramètres mécaniques des alliages utilisés.
    Par contre il est vrai que le BV s'applique plus à des navires professionnels dans ce réglement(un peu plus solides).
    Finalement, c'est plus l'estimation des charges d'échantillonnage chap 5 qui influera dans la structure final.
    Certains réglements peuvent alors être mieux adaptés:
    -ABS pour les voiliers
    -BV DNV pour les motoryacht .....
    Au final, d'un réglement à l'autre, les différences ne sont pas vraiment notoires!
    Ton exercice, que la plupart des architectes ont fait tient finalement plus des mathématiques. Par contre n'oublie pas la réalité des principes constructifs, soudabilité, passage des postes à souder, trou d'homme ...etc...

Bonne continuation

9. sorenfdk

sorenfdk Yacht Designer

How about the new BV rules for classification and certification of yachts ranging up to 100 meters LOA (NR 500 DTM R0)?
    I don't know these rules, but it might be a good idea to have a look at them.

10. D'ARTOIS

D'ARTOIS Senior Member

They fall under the new category of IMO or IMCO - now large yachts that are on the open market are qualified like pax vessels. Lots of commotion in the yachting world......I have those regs in the office....

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.