which brand structural adhesives

Discussion in 'Materials' started by Jmooredesigns, Sep 3, 2004.

1. Jmooredesigns

Jmooredesigns Junior Member

i am building a 10ft long by 5ft wide boat and have come to the conclusion that the deck and hull joints will be attached with a structural adhesive. i am aware there are many choices however i want the best for my needs? my boat is rated for 450lbs and is not rated for propulsion. so what would be the best choice? i am considering sikaflex 292 or a plexus brand (high dollar stuff) but i hear the best available and i want to rest at night knowing these hull and deck joints wont come apart. were using a shoebox type joint and can have aprox 1" height of sealant that will be 1/8" thick. can anyone give me an idea of what would work best even if theres another brand out there i havent considered?

2. jammer

jammer Old, bald and ugly

Plexus is top notch material. It's physicals are aerospace grade. Though 1/8" is a little on the wide side, at the size and weight capacity of the boat, this shouldn't be a problem. Worth the cost. As an alternative, also investigate Lord Adhesives.

3. Dutch Peter

Dutch Peter Senior Member

Use the sikaflex, put in some screws and seal the joint with a layer of glass, you'll be fine.

4. tja

tja Senior Member

look at 3m brand 5200 adhesive.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.