Where....

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by boat fan, Dec 12, 2009.

1. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

There is a lot of shipyards like this around, seemingly up every river where a fishing fleet will be.

This one is owned by young Thai family with American accents.

I have used PSS before, I use one in Trang 60 miles further up the coast.

Ratanachi ship yard in Phuket is similar and can do A_N_Y_T_H_I_N_G.

Should be a photo gallery for them too,--google it. Ok never ming here it is. http://ratanachai-slipway.com/about.htm

When they call you into the dock, its a bit tricky with side current but once you in the pen they throw 4 ropes out to you for port and Stb forwd and stern then switch off engines. Divers go down and sit the boat where you want it. I put small masking tape arrows on the hull, they sit it into 2 sand bags at my instruction to the millimeter.

2 sand bags at 4 points allows me to slash the top bag and lower it onto a sand bag in another position , I can then paint the whole hull.

PS that was the girlfriends Idea some years back and it works a charm.

2. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

In Pinellas County Years ago I was at a boat ramp where algae was very thick at waterline. Truck reloaded boat onto trailer but could not pull back up the ramp duee to slick algae under rear tires. I had to hook to truck and pull truck and boat above algae line before it could get traction.

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

I used to live in St. Pete, just by the Coquina Key entrance. I faced Grandview park and owned two slips on Big Bayou cove, just 150' from my front door. The public ramp was maybe 200 yards further down. It's not a commonly used ramp and well slimed. I dragged cars up that ramp monthly. Everything from "what's a transom plug?" through too small a car for too big a boat. I could have charged admission.