50ft sports-fisher project

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by AaronM, Jul 13, 2009.

1. AaronM

AaronM New Member

Hi all, this is my first post here, so be prepared for some silly questions :)

I'm currently enrolled at Massey university, New Zealand doing transport design, and we've just been given the task of designing a high performance 50 ft sports fishing boat also capable of coastal cruising. What I'm interested in is what are the preferred hull characteristics of such a boat?. Obviously it needs to be fast, comfortable and manoeuvrable, would there be anything else that would make the boat a better sport-fisher?

I'm also thinking of incorporating something like a three point hydroplane design into the hull to assist with max speed. Either two points at the front and the prop, or one point at the front and two props. Do you think this might be a good idea?

Thanks in advance for your time and opinions.
    Aaron.

2. Guest62110524

Guest62110524 Previous Member

in your very own country you have Don Senior, world class sportsfisher
    google his website, you will notice he uses low angle deadrise aft with very deep vee entry Contrast this with Riviera, whose boats stop in a head sea
    Try look for Don Shead too a Brit designer
    cheers
    http://www.donsenior.co.nz/boats3.htm

3. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

You might want to look at the back issue's of Proffessional Boatbuilder whaich are available online. There was a very good article a year or two back about desirable features in a sports fishing boat (cockpit coaming height and the like).
    Oh - and forget the hydoplane idea. Good seakeeping and hydroplane's couldn't get further apart on the design spectrum!

4. AaronM

AaronM New Member

Thanks for the replies and suggestions
    Willallison - You don't happen to remember which issue that article was in do you? I looked through the Professional Boatbuilder site and the back issues there without luck

5. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

No, sorry... it was probably a couple of years back. I'll see if I can find it tonight

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.