Building X1 Cabover Hydroplane Need Pics

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by Thin water, Aug 27, 2006.

1. Thin water

Thin water Senior Member

I am building the X1 cabover hydroplane from the plans found on svensons.com web site. I have three of the five frames done and have been looking for any pictures of a completed boat. These plans are on all of the old CD plans sets everybody has copied and sells on EBay so there must be one somewhere on the web. Any help is appreciated as well as any building advise from anyone who has worked on one of these or similar.
    JIM

2. Thin water

Thin water Senior Member

Frame done for the X1 hydroplane

I have the frame almost done. I need to add the two chines along the rear bottom sides then finish fairing it. I still can't find any pictures of a completed boat. I will know what it looks like when it is done.
    Additional pictures at www.thinwaterboats.com
    JIM

Attached Files:

3. Figgy

Figgy Senior Member

Looks great!

4. dwayneX-1

dwayneX-1 New Member

x-1 questions

I have been searching for a hydro big enough for the 50hp outboard i have. The x-1 seems to be it. I am just curious how many people it can seat. I am hoping it seats 2. 3 would be cool. Can you let me know, I would greatly appriciate it. Also I looked at your pics. I was wondering how much money you are in to it at the stage it is at. Thanks for your time.

5. Thin water

Thin water Senior Member

It will probably hold two but no way 3. I have about $250 into it as it is in pictures. No epoxy used on it yet. I expect to use 2 gallons of epoxy on frame and decking to seal it = $130 , 8 sheets of (Cheap) exterior ply with waterproof glue = $120, Paint/filler and sandpaper to finish = $100. Screws for decking = $25. Misc stupp that will come up = $25. Total to finish about $400. For a boat that truly hold two people well and would fly with a 50 the mini most hydroplane built at 25% over plan size. See http://www.thinwaterboats.com/9.html for pictures.[​IMG][/IMG]

6. Thin water

Thin water Senior Member

Mini most XL 25% over plans

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. mattyk

mattyk New Member

8. Canaduke

Canaduke Junior Member

Mattyk, I must say, that looks very good. I really like the style, how does your modified version preform on the water?

9. mattyk

mattyk New Member

hey

im not sure yet, just built it this year. im hoping it will perform, dont see how it cant. I have a 90 pushing it so its hopefully going to move.

10. bvlgary

bvlgary Junior Member

does anybody know

does anybody know the best size for a beginner for this type of boat. i am new to this, i want to build something that will look and run nice. i am moving to bulgaria soon so need a new hobby, besides boxing. also something that may provide a small income. I dont know much about but have learnt a lot of this nd other forums.
    i dont know if this would be way too hard to practice with but i figured best start at a good strong point. the main things i dont know are engine size and cost for 2nd hand, and how the steering would work, best regards

11. bvlgary

bvlgary Junior Member

matty k that looks really nice, could you please post me details, revised plans if possible. also what size engine you are running much appreciated thanks. email me bulgariantimes@easy.com