Where to start when designing my first small sailboat?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by trackie2, Apr 1, 2021.

1. Kayakmarathon

Kayakmarathon Junior Member

Test your design thoroughly; first on a lake with a light breeze, and eventually in the rough ocean. At least you will be able to recover the boat when the control system doesn't work as expected.

trackie2 likes this.
  2. trackie2

trackie2 Junior Member

I looked at the boats you mentioned and I see what you mean. I also took a look at the only other boat with a similar sail setup and it appears close-hauled, and you can clearly see it tacking downwind. Thank you for explaining the differences in such detail I really appreciate it. I'm realizing how much I have to learn!

3. trackie2

trackie2 Junior Member

Will do :) I'm lucky to have great locations for testing nearby

4. trackie2

trackie2 Junior Member

Thank you for the advice and book recommendations I'll give those a read :) Started with Principles of yacht design yesterday and I see why it's recommended so much. I appreciate the info on model building and software I'll look into that further too. I'm quite excited for when I start building!

5. BlueBell

BlueBell "Whatever..."

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.