Where to source Keel grade Osmium, Rhenium or Iridium...

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Annode, Jun 14, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Annode

Annode Previous Member

Why deadly depleted uranium is the tank buster's weapon of choice https://www.theguardian.com/world/2000/may/18/armstrade.kosovo

well since the UK/US govts feel there is no problem shooting it into places where children play with it, I figure that a lead lined bulb ought to be able to contain any remaining particles from escaping the bulb. Perhaps I should just visit Kosovo with a metal detector.

Obviously someone used it for a keel, this thread is about sourcing heavy metals for peaceful use. All leads appreciated

2. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

The only "leads" you need, are the Pb variety, stop playing silly buggers, it appears to be your favourite hobby. :rolleyes:

3. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

How many tons of gold do you need? Market price this morning was around $64.3 million a ton, plus shipping.

4. Annode

Annode Previous Member

Well since I mentioned the buget for this project was billions, Gold cost is not a problem, its the shipping, as you would know if you tried to put a few bars in your suitcase. Apart from that, its just not heavy enough.

no, just light hearted since everyone here seems to take themselves so deadly seriously.

So back to the topic. leads for ballast material suppliers IYP )

Will Gilmore likes this.
  5. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

We don't ship on suitcases. What is the amount you need?

6. bajansailor

bajansailor Marine Surveyor

Annode, when are you going to show us even just a rough sketch of this mythical boat that you are designing?
    Or is this whole exercise just a big wind up?

Ad Hoc and jehardiman like this.
  7. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

He's been trolling the forum with ridiculous ideas and claims for quite a while. Don't take him seriously. Perhaps you can use these posts to practice your sarcasm :rolleyes:

bajansailor and jehardiman like this.
  8. Mr Efficiency

Someone told me never to argue with a ratbag, they will beat you with experience, every time. :)

bajansailor and jehardiman like this.
  9. jehardiman

jehardiman Senior Member

This thread is starting to remind me of one long ago where a poster claimed he had the money to build a helicopter carrying submarine...The consensus among the professionals then, as should be now, is "show me the money". Most unreasoning things like this are possible for a price. I will never disbelieve anyone...but I'll take the money up-front to believe fully...cashiers check please, and in my accounts first.

bajansailor and Ad Hoc like this.
  10. Rumars

Rumars Senior Member

Pb is worth about 2USD/kg as scrap. The days of collecting free lead are over. A scrap boat with a lead keel has a base value of (lead weight x 2USD) - (removal + disposal of the rest). This value can of course be negative, but that does not mean somebody is going to give it away for free.
    Tungsten alloys (Densimet, Inermet, etc.) can cost up to 200USD/kg depending on how much you buy and who the supplier is. Since they are sintered alloys they are not approved for structural applications.
    DU has no value because it is not for sale. You either have the connections to get it free or it's unobtanium.

11. jehardiman

jehardiman Senior Member

I was in US Navy Deep Submergence. We looked at using a Tungsten forging once because we needed the strength and the weight...come to find out the material needed to do the rough forging was 4-5% of the US tungsten consumption for an entire year...we made it out of K monel.

12. Rumars

Rumars Senior Member

Pure tungsten in billet form is expensive (much more then 200$/kg) and hard to find, has to do with the refining process and limited applications. The sintered alloys are commonplace, for example non toxic birdshot is made out of it.
    The chinese dominate the tungsten market, when they closed some factories for upgrading to better environmental standards the world price doubled.

13. Mr Efficiency

Sounds like expensive birdshot . And don't crunch the teeth on any pellets left in the meat !

14. Annode

Annode Previous Member

Not a windup. No. Rough sketch I already posted.

[​IMG]

note the choppy waves!

Gold for ballast has other problems:
    On April 5, 1933 President Franklin D. Roosevelt, signed an executive order which outlawed the private ownership of gold. To justify the seizure, FDR used wartime authorities under the “Trading with the Enemy Act of 1917”. The law was never repealed after World War One, so Roosevelt used it to declare a national banking emergency. Roosevelt’s order demanded that all Americans must surrender their gold to a Federal Reserve Bank by May 1, 1933, less than a month after he signed the executive order.

I doubt the Govt is going to seie depleted Uranium tho... so who knows an arms dealer ?

15. Mr Efficiency

Is the gold spike still in place on the transcontinental ? Or was it pinched the first night ? :eek:

Will Gilmore likes this.