Where to get Linespan for Passenger ship?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by cewsun, Jul 14, 2010.

1. cewsun

cewsun Junior Member

Hello, everyone, I am new here.
    Currently I am still studying.
    I need help to get a lifespan for passenger ship. Does anyone know where can i get the AutoCAD drawing for lifespan and General Arrangement (GA) for passenger ship? :confused:

Hope to hear from you all..:p

2. apex1

apex1 Guest

Do you possibly mean "Lines Plan" ?

That will be almost impossible to get for free. The same is valid for a detailed GA.

Regards
    Richard

3. cewsun

cewsun Junior Member

Hi, apex1, thank for your info and correction.
    sorry, i m still new to the field. I am currently studying the marine technology.
    Ya, the words should be lines plan.
    I need to do a academy ship design by using a basic lines plan of passenger ship. My lecturer request us to get one in order for us to refer. Do you think any where i can get one for passenger ship, i m going to use it for academy purpose, not commercial.

4. JRMacGregor

JRMacGregor Junior Member

There is a SNAME paper published in Marine Technology (their magazine) called THE SPEED OF THE UNITED STATES

The UNITED STATES was a very large and fast passenger ship from more than 50 years ago.

Her hullform is very different from that of modern cruise ships.

If I recall correctly, the lines plan (or at least the body plan) is in that paper.

Your college/university should have access to the SNAME papers.

5. Eric Sponberg

Eric Sponberg Senior Member

Yes, the SNAME paper does indeed have the lines plan and a complete discussion of her performance. The reference for the paper is:

"The Speed of the SS United States"
    by John R. Kane
    Marine Technology, Vol. 15, No.2, April 1978, pages 119-143

Marine Technology is the quarterly journal of SNAME.

Eric

6. cewsun

cewsun Junior Member

Thank you, JRMacGregor and Eric.
    Your information is helpful. However, I try to find the paper in Google book and my own library online database. Very sad that, Google book don't really allow user to read the content. And my University's library online database also dont have SNAME.
    By the way, I am not clear about the different between SNAME and Marine Technology. Can you guy explain a bit and if possible, can you provide me further link for the paper that you mentioned. It will certain ease my job a lot. Thank for your kindly attention.

7. JRMacGregor

JRMacGregor Junior Member

SNAME is the society. MARINE TECHNOLOGY is their magazine.

Eric has given all the details you need to find the paper.

You can find SNAME Website using google. Many papers are available online for members. Even if you or your uni is not a member you can probably buy a copy for a few dollars. Maybe you need to send them a mail after you check the website.

8. Eric Sponberg

9. cewsun

cewsun Junior Member

Thank you Eric.
    It is really helpful. Only that, it request me to buy. :!:

10. Eric Sponberg

Well, they are copyrighted documents, and US$40 is pretty typical for a technical paper. You may be able to find someone close to you who is a member of SNAME (they do have some international sections) and they might be able to get it for you at the member/student price of US$20.

Eric

11. cewsun

cewsun Junior Member

Eric, you are really "sourceful" and helpful. Look like this forum is very helpful to my academy... i need to pay more visits to this forum in the future. :p

12. cewsun

cewsun Junior Member

Eric, does that include offset table? I need the offset table as well. Because i need to have a basic ship and then do a distortion for it to make it suit my lecturer's requirement. Please advise. :?:

13. Eric Sponberg

Cewsun,

No, the offset table is not published in the paper. However, the body plan is on a full page and reproduced accurately on a fine grid. The half breadth and profile views are published in halves on two pages. The body plan, which is the most important of the three views, could be scaled up to a more manageable size and measured by hand.

I just checked to see if there were other sources for the lines plan of the SS United States on the internet, and I found this link:
    http://ssunitedstatesconservancy.org/SSUS/blog/

The ship still exists and this organization is trying to preserve it. They may have copies of the original plans from Gibbs and Cox. It might we worth a try.

I hope that helps.

Eric

14. cewsun

cewsun Junior Member

i just gone through the links for several time, but i still cant figure out where should i go. Can you tell me more clear instruction.
    However, I will try to explore some of the links see if i can figure out where the lines plan is before you.. haha:D
    You can reply me, when you saw this post. Hopefully, by the time, I had found it.

15. Eric Sponberg

Cewsun,

I don't know for a fact that they do have the lines plan and offsets, I only offered that as a possibility. I did check the Mariner's Museum in Virginia for the SS United States lines plan (they have lots of plans of other boats and ships) but they did not have the lines of the SS United States. You may have to send an email to the SSUnitedStatesConservancy.org and ask them specifically if they have any plans and if so, could you buy a copy. Since they are trying to actually conserve the ship, they would be the most likely source to have the plans. The designers, Gibbs and Cox, went out of business long ago, and I don't know what would have happened to their records. Another possibility is the Smithsonian Institute in Washington, DC, our national heritage conservator. That website is: http://www.si.edu/

Again, I hope that helps. Sorry for the confusion.

Eric