Offshore Boat I can build in my garage

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by noidea, Apr 14, 2010.

1. noidea

noidea Junior Member

I'd like to build a sailboat which can be taken offshore, has a cabin for basic accomadation and is trailerable. I live in Western Australia and something that could safely go to Rottnest island to stay a few nights is what I have in mind.

Having not built a boat before I want to know which designers are likely to have the highest levels of detail in their plans.

My opening into my garage is 2.4m high (once inside the roof height is higher), the length is just under 8m and over 6m width. Anything which could be built in this space would be considered.

2. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

You need to determine the minimum length of a vessel allowed to venture 20km offshore under the laws of WA.

3. alan white

alan white Senior Member

It's difficult to imagine a boat you could build within those dimensional constraints that could be halfway comfortable offshore, seaworthiness aside.
    8 meters space? Not much acomodation---- you have to walk around the ends, I'd think. Nor do you have the height for a keelboat, unless you don't mind living in a very bent-over condition.
    The good news is that regardless of the labor savings, a home-built cruiser costs many times the outlay for a temporary shelter or an enlarged garage. The nice thing is the property is worth more if the garage is made larger.
    Then again, what you mean by offshore may well be a boat that can survive an occasional short trip to maybe 20 miles offshore in predictable weather.
    Then you could look at a lot of designs down to 16 ft or so, something that won't cost too much to build either.

4. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

This company has been around since the 50s. Plans are great and easy to build. Lots of folks in AU have built their boats. Many more then just this one and all designed by NAs. Check the other trailerable ones and check customer photos. All sailboats listed under boat plans catalog.

http://www.glen-l.com/designs/sailboat/amigo.html

5. alan white

alan white Senior Member

I think you could store that boat in that garage. The question is could you build it in there? Maybe, but it would have to go diagonally once inside in order to get around it, and then consider the tools/work area.
    Nice boat, though. Similar to the Flicka.

6. idpnd

idpnd Junior Member

Why dont you build it outside under a tent? ;)

7. Howard N

Howard N New Member

8. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

Nice boat but not trailerable with thar beam.

9. noidea

noidea Junior Member

The main reason for building it in the garage is comfort. In summer it can get over 40 outside and in regularly in the mid 30's.

I have a corner block with rear access and it would be my intention to store the boat there when finished.

The "amigo" suggestion looks pretty cool. But I don't know if it would be as easily transported as I would like. Rottnest island is mentioned on my initial post but there are other location up and down the coast of WA that I'd love to take the boat places like Esperance, The Abrolhos and Bernier & Dorre islands. It's a big state and so these places are a fair way apart.

I've gone to all the places mentioned above in a 19ft powerboat by picking weather and I'd intend to do the same in a sailboat. The aim is to build the most seaworthy boat I can in the space I have with it still being capable of being launched from a trailer.

10. alan white

alan white Senior Member

11. fcfc

fcfc Senior Member

The problem is not building location.

It is offshore, basic accomadation and trailerable.

What do you mean by trailerable ? using a Tata Nano, or a Hummer to tow the thing.
    How long do you allow to setup the boat from trailer to water ?
    Using a ramp, or a crane ?

What is basic accomodation for a few night ? headroom, separate head ?

Offshore is wind force 6, 8 or storm ?

12. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

WA maritime authorities may not allow a 8m boat beyond the 5km limit. Force 6 storm will turn your hair white if in wrong boat.

13. noidea

noidea Junior Member

The tow vehicle would be a V6 4WD and I'd like to be able to launch it from a boat ramp. Accomadation wise I'd like room for two peopl and while a head would be nice it isn't a must.

Rottnest is about 20km offshore. As for the size requirments for going out that far. I don't think there are any, I go there regularly in a 16ft powerboat without too many dramas. Years ago I went there in a 12ft dinghy with a mate but we had a very good weather forecast and I wouldn't say it is the smartest thing I ever did. It's a long trip with a tiller steer outboard and my elbow was very stiff when we got there.

Once your there you can get out of the weather by tucking in near the island. Great diving, plenty of crayfish

14. fcfc

fcfc Senior Member

I would say something like this http://www.amateurboatbuilding.com/justright/index.htm

Since your garage is 8m length, you cannot reasonnably build something bigger than 6m50, leaving a 75 cm passage each end of the boat.

I would also look at NC cut plywood parts, to reduce handling of big parts in small space.

Although this boat is way bigger, it may give good ideas, as prebuilding subparts , and planking the hull at the very last stage. http://pagesperso-orange.fr/noulica/construction.html .

Another build that is very space constrained. www.fram.nl
    http://www.fram.nl/workshop/floats/album/Setupfirstfloathalf/photos/photo2.jpg
    http://www.fram.nl/workshop/mainhull/album/Unmoldingthestarboardmainhullhalf/photos/photo1.jpg
    The price to pay is a length building time.

15. noidea

noidea Junior Member

I've been having a look around on the net and I found a 20ft boat on the whistock boat plans site. I've downloaded the plans and they look OK. I think with the 60cm draft compared to the 3ft draft for the amigo this would make it a bit easier to launch and retrieve from a trailer. Getting that extra foot of water under teh boat might be a problem at a lot of ramps unless some creative launching techniques are employed.

I've also orders a book from the wooden boat store wihich has info on 50 different designs to help me look at the types of things on offer. I really like the old school looking boats.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.