where to get a long shaft for 84 150 evenrude???

Discussion in 'Outboards' started by toocanshan81, Apr 5, 2009.

1. toocanshan81

toocanshan81 Junior Member

hey does anyone know where to get a long shaft or how to make my x-long shaft work on an 18' mfg. the transom measures about 21" tall and i have a x-long shaft on my 150 evenrude and it is not working out. it seems like at full throttle the water at the back of the boat is triing to push threw the transom. one good thing is it doesnt cavitate. anyway i was told the shaft is too long and i need a ?20"? shaft how right is this and if anyone knows where to get one? thanks toocan

2. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

as for new parts, you might have to swap the gearbox for a later style to get the 2 piece drive shaft and I would be confident you can get a new exhaust housing as they are the same as the later loopers.
    You can cut and re thread the shsift shaft and you also have the inner exhaust housing to replace
    OR
    You could cut and weld the drive shaft to shorten it. This works reliably.
    Do not try to cut and weld the exhaust housing..they fail.
    I would visit an outboard dismantler to get the parts second hand.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.