Where to find a workshop

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by attrezzo, Jun 20, 2013.

1. attrezzo

attrezzo New Member

I've got a 22 foot boat I plan on doing a great deal of work on and I need a place out of the weather to put it.

I was thinking I really have a few options:

Build a building for it $$$$ but most convienent and reliable
    Buy a tent and use that $$$ and convenient not reliable at all
    Rent a storage spot somewhere $$$ not convenient but reliable

I'm sure there are more. How did those of you that didn't have a shop when you started get work done on your boat?

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

If you add your real location somebody may have some useful information. There are a lot of sheds and barns available for little or nothing.

3. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

You need a location and type of boat...up north you need a heated shed when working with boatbuilding chemicals.

4. LP

LP Flying Boatman

Many people build temporary structures. Local ordinances may effect this as well as your latitude as MP has stated.

5. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

You need road access for the transporting equipment.

6. Petros

Petros Senior Member

the reality is, if it is not next to where you live, it will not get much attention. Out of sight out of mind, and the inconvenience of travelling to and from the boat location will seriously dampen your enthusiasum for finishing it.

Even a temp shelter next to living quarters is money well spent. If you live in an area with severe weather/snow/wind, you will need a much more substantial temp structure, and as pointed out, local ordinances or community covenants may be an issue. Get permission first. If you live in an area with mild weather you may only need a canopy. If you own your house building a simple carport may actually add some value to your property.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.