Putting edge back on chine

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by gary1, Aug 24, 2007.

1. gary1

gary1 Senior Member

Morning Everyone,
    I'm in the process of fairng my hull,when I laminated the hull i had to put a radius (approx 18mm) on the chines so the fabric would conform over the edges. I now have to put an edge back on the chine, besides creating a small wall of some kind around the chine and filling it with fairing compound then levelling and sanding it off to a sharp edge Is there some kind of tool out there which would help me form the F/compound along the edge of the chine, or is it just a matter of covering the chine edge and then just sanding it to shape and judging it by eye.
    Thank's
    Gary

2. alan white

alan white Senior Member

I guess you could tape off (right where the radii start) both sides and make a corner tool having two long (12"?) "legs" and a pivot.
    Maybe something 1/4" thick would be good for the tool. If you use a stiff and light additive like microballoons and epoxy, it will stand up and not sag. Long legs on the tool to allow good control following the flats of the sides.
    Then a couple of smoothing coats using West 410 microlight and wet sanding should bring it all together.

Alan

3. gary1

gary1 Senior Member

G/Day Alan,
    Thank's for the idea, I'll see what I can make up either way it means more sanding just can't seem to get away from it. Thank's again for the help
    Stay Safe
    Gary

4. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

when i repair chimes i make a template of the chime then out from chime about an inch, and mix poly or epoxy and cabasil and use the template as a spreader, but ive also never done it good enough not to have to sand., and you have to sand to begin with for the bond,,hehe, the boat builders dalima, how can i build this boat without sanding, my answer,,,,,hire someone ;)

5. gary1

gary1 Senior Member

G/Day the1much,
    Thank's for the tip I sort of ended up following a simillar path. I had the original panels cnc cut so I just used the sheets of ply that they came cut from and just clamped them to some scrap. Then ran a jigsaw around the edges, sort of like a big template so i was able to get the scrap ply to conform along the chines clamped them on and filled it up with filler. They came out pretty well I will still have to give them a touch up with a fairing board though .
    Thank's Again
    Gary

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.