Where is Yipster?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Verytricky, Jan 11, 2008.

1. Verytricky

Verytricky Large Member

My model plug is ready!

2. yipster

yipster designer

[​IMG] i'm here my frend, wanna show us what your doing? thought i saw you on eurosport but those offshore triple step boats were open

1 person likes this.
  3. Trevlyns

Trevlyns Senior Citizen/Member

At last we see you without the shades! Cool dude!! :cool: :D

4. westlawn5554X

westlawn5554X STUDENT

so where is the MIB glasses that made u so cool... like a tuna killer?... I prefer the raybane version... nice pic...

5. Verytricky

Verytricky Large Member

Running Surface

A Picture worth a thousand words??

Attached Files:

• One.JPG
      One.JPG
      File size:
      90.3 KB
      Views:
    • Four.jpg
      Four.jpg
      File size:
      218.9 KB
      Views:
    • Three.jpg
      Three.jpg
      File size:
      380.2 KB
      Views:
    • Two.jpg
      Two.jpg
      File size:
      105 KB
      Views:
  6. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Yipster's got EYES !! I thought the man was a BLIND sailor :D

Verytricky, is that a bait boat for fishermen ?

7. Verytricky

Verytricky Large Member

Jou Gat Boertjie!:mad:

8. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Very nice comment there Verytricky, and that for such a large member.

Why don't you explain what it is so we can learn from it ?

9. yipster

yipster designer

thats a raceboat Fanie, my african is poor it seems, 3 words and only boertje is dutch but saw the deadrise lines and reply's
    good to see the pics and progres, how big is that model, how is that gonna be tested and more
    for no good reason i sort of like the canopy form and wonder bout the deep steps and iff i see a small centerline rail
    you also mentioned a flat running pad right? keep me posted and dont hurt your backbone :D

10. charmc

charmc Senior Member

VT,

Beautiful work on that plug. From the person standing nearby, it looks about 6-7 ft/2 m long? Don't know if you're hiding the details of the bottom, but the inverted pix showing the 2 steps is intriguing. Almost look like notches, although it's hard to see in that pix. If possible, some more pix of the bottom would be nice.

If I remember correctly, you're planning on the wings being functional, giving WIG effect; that's cool.

In the pre-Moppie era, when I was a mere lad, a fine entry with very high deadrise forward, transitioning to a flat area at the transom, gave small powerboat hulls good roughwater ability at planing speeds. Looks like you've incorporated some of those principles in your hull, as opposed to a constant deadrise.

11. Verytricky

Verytricky Large Member

Each 'hull' is designed to do its job differently, so each segment of the boat is more or less divorced from the rest of the boat. It may or may not work, but it was my theory. When running 'flat' as the boat is designed to do, the hull running surfaces will provide a 5 degree angle of attack. Some of the parts of the hull are 'hidden' as they may work, may not work, and I want to test the prototype first, before revealing their true form.

It has a large amount of recovery built in if I stuff it, and a very flat planing surface, whilst still complying with the UIM rules for monohull.

The whole running surface has been designed for the English coast, and as such would classify as a 'rough water boat' as this is our default sea state!

The end boat, as measured per UIM formula, will be 29' 10" ( 9.093 meters ) - this is due to my wish to attempt several UIM world speed records ( offshore ) for the 'under 30' category of craft. So you can say the end result is a 30 foot boat, and this is a 1/5th scale model. It is over 6 foot with the things the UIM does not measure.

The mould from this plug is being built as we type, and then the plug is being sent to chack some calculations regarding air manupulation, whilst the first prototype model will be made from the mould, fitted with RC and tested in the harbour to see how it actually handles the waves.

Air manipulation is threefould - One to create a low pressure section just above the engine to provide some lift, two to help the flow of air into the void created by the boat, reducing vaccume drag, and three to help stop 'slamming' when re-entring the sea off a wave.

The wings do also provide lateral stability, and because they are at the rear section of the boat, help prevent a blow back if you 'kite' the boat.

12. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Can you use a hydrofoil for keeping the boat to fly up ? If it is allowed it can run neutral, then as the boat starts to lift the hydrofoil trims down a little.

13. Verytricky

Verytricky Large Member

Hydrofoils are a different animal and one I have little knowledge of. I assume Hydrofoils need to be in the water to work, and we spend about 1/3rd of the time out of the water at 80mph due to the roughness of the sea, so I am assuming the Hydrofoil will get damaged coming in and out of the water.

Some examples from the last year in a similar design.

Attached Files:

14. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Oh I see now... it's an aircraft that flies low over water.

Saw a small servo driven cat hull model on youtube. These things really move for it's size.

How is your's propelled ?

15. Verytricky

Verytricky Large Member

I will be using a 8.2 l v8 powering a duoprop. We expect a top speed IRO 115mph ( setup for short distance records ) and a crusing speed IRO 90mph in the sea.