Where is this?

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Wynand N, Apr 22, 2007.

1. Guillermo

Guillermo Ingeniero Naval

Zadar. A city in Croatia on the Adriatic Sea, with a population of 72,718 (2006).
    Or then Ancona, Italy (last photo definitely from here).

2. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

yes my son, Ancona, but the departure city is not correct
    So which ferry lines sail into Ancona and where from

3. Guillermo

I have done that yesterday, Stu, visiting all ports in Croatia, Montenegro, Albania and Greece, where ferries from Ancona sail to. But I have not yet identified the place. I thought about ZADAR because that's the name of one of the ferries in the Ancona image (not very imaginative here, I know).

As probably the ferry line in the first image is MINOAN (because of the red line in the hull and their "SUPER OFFER for Camper/Caravan owners and their family"), the place has to be Igoumenitza, Patras or Corfú. I think I remember something about you and Igoumenitza from other threads....

(the castle, the castle and the name Iskele is what confounds me!)

Cheers.

4. Guillermo

Got you!
    Çeşme, Turkey!

Cheers.

Attached Files:

5. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

you are so persistant, were you a hound dog chasing down voodoos in another life? Yes indeed Cesme
    chessma, pr, Nice town, the ferry is the Cesme, was formerly the Princess Beatrice, came from Norway or Sweden, and boy she is a real dog at sea, even in slight swell she slams badly and in over force 5 she has to slow and often she has to stop completely and wait, she was also very poorly built although quite amodern ship
    She goes via the Corinth canal when she has a lot of pax, but in quiet times, she goes long route, lots to see on this ferry ride, two nights, You could have seen Cesme on my map!!
    Soon I will come again, the yacht is sold, I would like Perry to find some wheels for me and maybe we can drive down
    Last time I bought the mohome you see in this pic in UK and drove it down to Tr via Bari / Ingamanitsa, I bought it UK, sight unseen was perfect cept the guy forgot to mention that it slipped out of third cog on the overun, so coming down mountain passes it was very annoying , therefore I will never believe another private seller on ebay

6. masalai

masalai masalai

Congrats on the disposal, do we get a story soon???

7. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

sure Brian, I have the docs arrivin fedex, sign and return, then all will be revealed and pics posted

8. Guillermo

I have not personally been there, but I recently sent a man of my team to inspect some vessels at its main port. It's an island in the southern hemisphere. I attach some images.Where is it and what's its name?

Attached Files:

9. masalai

masalai masalai

I give up, and the best clue, the lettering on the statue (balding pilot/flyer?) is hidden:D:D

No lava flows in the Pacific or elsewhere that I could find - quickly.
    Guess at tropics or temperate with loquot/frangipanni? - almost French/Spanish colonial influence, or even Vanuatu, but I cannot recall lava over a bitumen & marked road.
    Solid Catholic support, good surf - good fetch across an open ocean.
    Fairly strong expatriate community and tourism - with charter fleet/s and related activities. A bit dry - like New Caledonia

10. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

it is somewhere in Hawian islands
    haleakali?

11. masalai

masalai masalai

Lazyjack, I hope not, for Guillermo's post said "It's an island in the southern hemisphere. "

I did not consider PNG as there was no lava flow... I need some clues - I feel like a little terrier - not willing to let the challenge go....

12. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Pitcairn island

13. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

zakkly how very stupid of me, was thinking 18S stead of N, well its a catholic place, not Indonesia so somewhere where there were missionaries,Frosty dont be such a pleb
    i think East not Spanish America, cos of the palms by statue, not Fiji, somewhere civalized so can't be Australia!
    UM, maybe South America
    um nope they are all big snowy ones

14. masalai

masalai masalai

Active lava flow??? French island of Réunion in the western Indian Ocean

15. Guillermo

You got it, masalai, Réunion it is! Congratulations!
    And the pilot in the statue was Roland Garros, the french pilot born there who first added a machine gun to an aeroplane to shot it through the propeller, and who gives his name to the tennis tournament in France.
    The statue of the Virgin is called the "Virgin of the Umbrella" (evidently).
    We went there to inspect and appraise Réunion's port tugs.

Now, your turn.

Cheers.

P.S. Interesting to know that Anthony Fokker, the other pilot who copied and improved Roland Garros's machine gun-propeller invention by sincronizing the shoooting of the bullits with the turning of the propeller, was also born in an island, Java in this case.