Electrical Conduit

Discussion in 'OnBoard Electronics & Controls' started by rasorinc, Nov 23, 2014.

1. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

Anyone have strong opinions about PVC # 40 conduit vs galvanized steel conduit? all my AC and DC main lines will be run in conduit. Boat will be used in fresh and salt water. Any other options. Thank you.

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Plastic will not corrode. It is accepted by most electrical codes, so it should be safe. There are a couple of things to consider:
    1- It is not fireproof
    2-It becomes brittle and shatters at very low temperatures.

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

It does stand relatively high heats, though does melt, it's not acceptable in commercial applications nor potential impact or abrasion areas, except in low voltage runs and will sag in engine rooms unless supported at much smaller intervals than codes require, if you want it to look neat and tidy. I'll use 16" - 24" clamping distances in engine rooms, for this reason. For your needs Stan, PVC will be fine.

4. sdowney717

sdowney717 Senior Member

ENT conduit that flexy bendy stuff. I am using it on my boat.

ENT is thinner than PVC. Wires in conduit are derated on how many amps they can have. Does thick PVC retain more heat than metal conduits, so more derating?

Mine is the heavy duty VOHG with very good self extinguishing
    [​IMG]

5. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

ENT isn't rated for impact or abrasion either, though it bends good, most use "WeaterTite" or "LiquidTite" from an adapter or bulkhead fitting, for these bends from conduit. Personally, I like to make really neat bends in rigid, then adapt to the flexible (ASTM D 922) conduit, for the final run from the rigid to the engine (or whatever). The weak link is the flex, which is rated at 220 F (105 C) and not as tough as the rigid. Most pleasure boats will use the split loom style or the light PVC conduit.