Nicholson 35 or Ericson 39

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by klaus303, Dec 10, 2010.

1. klaus303

klaus303 New Member

Hi

First of all I dont know if this is the right forum to post a question like this - but I try anyway :)
    Im in doubt of which would be the best buy the Nicholson 35 or the Ericson 39.
    I have looked at many boats by now and end up with these two as a boat I think will fit me.
    But I simply can not decide which one of them it should be.
    Condition is about the same, price is about 30% higher on the Ericson (but its also 39 feet).
    Layout is more or less the same and for that matter the total style of the boat.
    I will eventually use the boat for bluwater cruising - but as a starter it will be for costal crusing.
    I would probably need to be able to sail it single handed on and off.
    The boat will be used in South East Asia where I live.
    Wind is not strong here and consistent like en EU and US.

Advise from experienced people would be appreciated.
    Which would be the best buy?

br
    Klaus

2. tom28571

tom28571 Senior Member

Assuming the money is not a factor, I would give equal weight to the one I liked best and the result of a serious survey. Can you handle the sails singlehanded equally well on one versus the other?

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

There are huge differences between these yachts, you may wish to refine your desires a bit.

The Nicholson 35 was considered a bit under canvased in the first generations and got a taller rig in the late 1970's. Even though the interiors seem similar the Ericson will feel much roomer and it is. The Nicholson 35 is a heavy boat (high 300's) D/L) and a lot of deck on a 26' 9" LWL (8.15 m). This would make a fine coastal boat, if you're not in a hurry to get anywhere fast (13.7 SA/D, probably to get a good rating). As a sea boat she'll have a nice ride, but you'll eventually run out of "boat" and need to hide some place safe (protected cove, up a river, etc.) as it's a short boat, with substantial overhangs, to take into big water.

The Ericson 39 is a different boat and has more preformance potential. If she was campaigned hard, you may need to replace equipment if it hasn't been already. This boat has substantially better light air abilities (16.6 SA/D) and in general will be a much better preforming boat then the Nicholson 35. This boat is also a heavy boat (low 300's D/L), but not so much compared to the Nicholson. This boat will have a comfortable ride in a rough sea, more so then the 35 and you can tolerate rough stuff longer in this boat too (size does matter, just ask your wife).

I'd want to be at sea in the biggest boat I could handle, because comfort and speed are linked to size to a large degree, particularly in yachts of this class.

As Tom has mentioned, it goes without saying a comprehensive survey needs to be preformed before purchase. This will likely sort out your decision making snafu.

4. klaus303

klaus303 New Member

Hi Tom and "Par"

Thanks for the very usefull information.
    Unfortunately I can not test sail any of them as they are out of the water and stripped of rigging etc and even prepped for paint work.
    Im a novice to this and this is my first boat purchase ever even though I have sailed on boats in the past I have never owned one myself.
    Of course its a matter of "personality", but I tend to "fall in love" with the old timers.
    I have one Jenneau 35 Sun Odessey from 2003 as an option also, and my mind say it would be the "safe" choice, but my heart goes more for the Ericson or Nicholson.
    When the two old timers are fixed and ready they will probably have cost almost as much as the Jenneau (which to me look a bit like a bath tub :)

And I just asked my wife about size and she said "honey you know I told you it dont matter" - and naive as I am - I keep on beliving her :)

Thanks a lot
    Klaus

5. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

Actually there are two models of the E39, the flush/raised deck 39 and the 39B with trunk and double stateroom/double head arrangement. Since you say arrangements are close I'll guess you're looking at the standard 39.

Areas of concern for both boats are the rudders and chainplates. If not already done (many have been retrofitted) the Ericson needs a bigger/deeper rudder. See the Ericson's owners group for info on this. As stated above the Ericson is slanted more to lighter wind sailing while the Nicholson is a heavy air boat. The Nic is a very nice looking boat in the traditional manner (Ray Wall was/is a master designer) but she is far smaller than the Ericson.....in storage space especially. The Nic has a vee drive with the stuffing box under the engine...troublesome.......

Condition survey, engine hours, number and condition of sails, and overall maintenance level will tell you which one to go for....but I would look seriously at the larger boat.......

1 person likes this.
  6. klaus303

klaus303 New Member

Hi Tad,

Thanks for you important information.
    I joined the Ericson group and will ask for what rudder lenght it should be so I can see myself if its long enough
    And you are right the Ericson is a flush deck version, with full teak deck wich scare me a bit as you never know whats underneath.
    I live in Thailand and Teak get a rough treat here by the sun but on the other hand repair is cheap. But as its laid on top teak deck it could be a bad suprise underneath.
    Both boats are 1977 and I would regard the condition as similar.
    Price for the Nicholson about 25K and for the Ericson its 42K (which I think is a bit overprices) - they both need extensive rework from a visual point of view (the rest will come with the survey)
    The wind is more light here than i EU and US so it might fit better to the Eriscon from what you write.
    I will surely have a thorough survey done once I decide which one to do the survey on and make an offer on.

Thansk for you very useful information

Br
    Klaus

7. Oceano

Oceano Junior Member

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.