Where does all the resin go ??

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by tunnels, Aug 10, 2012.

1. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

Chopped strand matt and woven roving . see how open the weaves are in each !! the chopped strand will break up a lot as the bundles of fibres separate in the resin :(
    But the weave in the woven is an eye opener thats for sure !!:eek:

Attached Files:

2. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Do you mean to say-- chopped is more economical with resin because it has'nt got holes in it.

3. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

NO ! LOOK AT HOW OPEN THE STUFF IS !!
    :confused:

4. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

That's where the bubble buster roller comes in like the cavalry. It works those strands and rovings and spreads out the individual glass filaments to help fill in the openings and work resin into the spaces between the individual filaments.

I wonder if that is a lamination limitation in the infusion process? The filaments don't get worked around at all.

Ideally, I would figure the optimum lamination would have every filament surrounded by a microscopic film of resin and no filament would be in direct contact with another.

5. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Then I dont understand I can see through the woven but I cant see through the mat.

6. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

ITS THE REASON I POSTED PICTURES OF WOVEN SO YOU CAN SEE ALL THE PLACES THAT HAVE TO BE FILLED WITH RESIN !! A REASON TO SWITCH TO STICHED MATERIALS !! THINNER AND NOT ANY WHERE NEAR THE AMOUNT OF GAPS SO USES LESS RESIN AND THE GLASS CONTENT GOES UP AND THE RESIN CONTENT GOES DOWN A LITTLE .
    iTS ONE OF THE REASONS WE GET THINGS LIKE THE 1708 THAT YOU SEE SO OFTEN LISTED OR 0/90 BIAXLE WITH A CSM ATTACHED . ITS THE PURPOSE OF THE CSM TO GLASS REINFORCE THE RESIN BETWEEM THE LAYERS AND TO MAKE IT QUITE A BIT STRONGER ALL THE GLASS WE ARE USING ON OUR 90 FOOTER I HAD CHANGED WITH CSM AS PART OF SO ONE LAYER COULD BE LAID ONTOP OF THE OTHER AND NO DOUBLE HANDLING OF A CSM SEPARATLY . ITS A LIGHT CSM WITH NO BINDER AT ALL WET S IMMEDIATLY AND LAYS BEAUTIFULY AND QUICK . THE RESIN TO GLASS CONTENT IS BETTER AND LAYED IN LESS TIME IF PEEL PLY WAS USED THE GLASS TO RESIN WOULD BE EVEN CLOSER TO INFUSED PERSENTAGES . I WILL GET SOME PICTURES OF SOME OF THE STITCHED GLASSES WE BEEN USING . STITCHING WITH NO BINDERS SURE IS A LOT BETTER TO USE AND IS NOTIABLY QUICKER TO WET OUT SPECIALLY WITH A SATURATOR GUN !! QUICKER TO LAY , QUICKER WET OUT EASER TO ROLL SO CAN LAY BIGGER AREAS AND DO MORE IN A GIVEN TIME . :p:):D

7. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

I thought you vacuum bagged them, now your talking wetting out 90 footers.

Ille just go away,--- this is over my head and I dont know whats going on.

Ille stay on the side reading it --there might be something I understand.

8. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

9 FEET OR 90 FEET OR BIGGER MAKES LITTLE DIFFERANCE !! ITS ALL JUST SQUARE METERS AT THE END OF THE DAY . VAC BAGGING GLASS IS TOTALLY A WASTE OF TIME FOR WHAT WE ARE DOING . SURE WE BAG THE BALSA CORE DOWN AS THERES SO MUCH OF IT , THE DECK AREA IS BIG . i WISH I COULD GET INTO THE FACTORY ROOF TO TAKE SOME PICTURES . THE OUTSIDE OF THE DECK HAS BULLWARKS AND ARE NOT REALLY STRUCTUAL AS SUCH SO USED 5 MM CORE MATT TO STIFFEN THOSE PANELS BUT WALKING AREAS AND CABINSIDES AND ROOF ETC ETC ARE ALL CORED WITH BALSA COMPLETELY ALL OVER . SO BLAS IS BAGGED AND GLASS IS JUST LAID SAME AS WHAT YOU DO BUT ON A GRAND SCALE !!. THE BIGGER THE BOATS THE EASYER THEY ARE TO WORK ON !!.:D:p:p

9. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

Tunnels knows what he's talking about and sometimes works it like a school teacher so it's a set up. It's like

Tunnels: WTF?
    You: ...der...duh...?
    Tunnels: Well, I'll tell you WTF!

Just pay attention, you'll learn.

Tunnels
    if you have a camera that will automatically save pictures and reset itself to take the next picture, make a tethered balloon camera with an extra string that will work a small spring returned (rubber band) arm that will push the camera button when you pull the string.

Or, since there's a lot of people there...

[​IMG]

10. tazmann

tazmann Senior Member

My Merit has balsa coring in the bottom and when they made it they only put one layer of heavy woven roving on it, after about 10 years the resin had shrunk and there was nice little holes going directly to the balsa , needless to say running in the chop at Frisco water was splashing in a bit around the keel trunk and found it's way under the liner turning the bottom of the boat to mush. Now that was a fun repair!
    Tom

11. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Oh I know that, very impressive.

I feel these threads such as this are not for the likes of me.

12. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

Well, I don't know. It's a matter of visualizing in your mind what is happening with things almost too small to see. The knowledge may not be of any actual use to you, but understanding it may trigger a solution for a totally unrelated problem in a totally unrelated medium in the future.

Who knows, thanks to the mechanics of woven roving and resin, you might see God or win the lottery.

13. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

I can picture that. I wonder what actually happens, the resin shrinks or does it evaporate?
    I had a tv once that quit after 6 years. The tv guy said the solder evaporated on a connection and showed me where he re-soldered it. 6 years later it did it again and the same connection had to be re-soldered. It wasn't a connection that had movement and broke, the solder just disappeared.

14. tazmann

tazmann Senior Member

From what I have seen the polyester resin shrinks a lot after several years
    In this case it was probably a combination of not enough resin, should have had a light mat layer, and being raced flexing

15. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

We were in SF the week before July 4th, maybe we saw you racing? We took the boat trip to the GG bridge and on the one side was a herd of Pelicans out of the city marina that were racing, and on the other was a flock of bigger boats out of Sausalito. ?