where do i begin?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by jeremy5780, Jan 10, 2008.

1. jeremy5780

jeremy5780 New Member

I have a 17 foot skiff completly open i want to box the back half in, put a deck on with a livewell or two like a flats boat would have. the skiff is 6 foot wide and i would go about 4 or 5 feet out from the transom so i need to buils a deck out of wood how thick of plywood should i use i dont want alot of weight but it needs to be strong enough to walk and stand on! then i need to fiberglass it which i have never done before. should i use chopped matt or woven, what weight and how many layers? Am i getting in over my head here? any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!

2. Trevlyns

Trevlyns Senior Citizen/Member

Hi Jeremy and welcome to the forum!!

You’re very welcome and will learn a lot by following the daily going’s on.

I’m going to attempt a start on your query. Others may disagree, and others will add to what I have to say. That’s what healthy debate is all about.

I’d reckon that ¼ inch ply would be sufficient – provided that you have adequate framing. I base that on the fact that some catamarans in the 20 to 30 foot range are built with that thickness.

And as for coverings, it is my belief that fibreglass offers mainly protection to ply and does little to increase strength. There are many ply boats that don’t have any ply protection – only a good quality latex paint. Ply on it’s own is plenty strong!

I’m hoping for some input by our forum member RAR - whose advice on woods and ply in general is solid.

Meantime, watch this space! :D

Best!

3. charmc

charmc Senior Member

Welcome aboard, Jeremy!

I tend to agree with Trev; 1/4" should be thick enough, but it will need good support. In general, most folks seem to prefer cloth over chopped fiber. Properly done, it will be stronger and lighter than an equivalent thickness of chopped fiber.

There are many members with experience at this type of modification, they will have much better advice on the details.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.