Where did we go wrong?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Willallison, Nov 29, 2011.

1. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

I think most folks contain it in a charcoal or propane barbeque grill. I've seen small units designed to clamp to the rail; I've seen small backyard grills with their legs lashed to the rails. I've seen portable folding units just setting on the deck, or on a seat.

But the people I've been around on inland lakes usually just head for a strip of beach somewhere, and set up under a tree or a folding canopy.

2. BATAAN

BATAAN Senior Member

Exactly the wrong females to have aboard.
    A Boatshow Girl will break her high heels when the boat 'tips', sending wine and roses into the bilge, and the HMB (High Maintenance B***h) off looking for a bigger/more stable boat/wallet to sink her vampire teeth into, since she's interested in money, prestige, social climbing and appearance, not you.
    -
    Rude Matthew Sweet song:
    She's just your size, she's sexy, she's beautiful, does she talk?
    She's just your size, she's sexy, she's beautiful, does she talk?
    You just can't teach a slithering snake how to walk.
    -
    There are some real impressive women out there who love a good thrash to windward and don't mind rolling sushi from fresh-caught tuna.
    They are really worth looking for, and a meal on the hook is a good place to start.
    The yacht world is home to some of the biggest phonies on earth, and they need to spend $1 mill on a 44' boat without a galley (room for a credit card though) to impress their friends, not actually use the boat hard.
    An exception is hard core competitive racers, advancing the science and engineering of fast sailing at sea on their own dime and helping all of us see new ways to the job better/faster/lighter.

3. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

Yes... Its was really just a tongue-in-cheek reference to the pic of a bed of coals and brick fireplace that Daiquiri posted earlier....

4. BATAAN

BATAAN Senior Member

Columbus' two smaller ships had a three-sided iron box filled with sand on the deck, on which you could cook your gruel and rotting salt meat sometimes, I assume with firewood.
    No thanks. We have a Taylor's propane yacht range with a broiler and it gets used a great deal.
    On the original premise, a 'sleep 2-eat 4-drink 6+', person boat of efficient and economic type, sail or motor, is the right size for most of us. Pity there aren't more of them.
    I'm not knocking Rivas, but a Stadivarius is not required for fiddling.

5. Yobarnacle

Yobarnacle Senior Member holding true course

Our motorsailer only sleeps 2. It has an aft cabin to sleep 2 more persons but we converted it to a head and reclaimed the old head space in main cabin gaining visual,auditory, and odor privacy. We minimalized galley to same purpose.Commercial vessels require minimum of 1 ton per man, volumn not weight. 100 cu ft equals 1 ton, and in truth a hundred cu ft per man is insufficient and such minimalist boats are called "head knockers" by their crews. Cramped!

6. viking north

viking north VINLAND

It's a common boast of advertisements on new boats to sleep six in a 9ft. dingy :) A week of 4 adults on the average 30 footer shrinks the boat in half. You have made a wise decision in preventing your boat from shrinking. I likewise have decided the same for my new boat build, as I did with my 26ft. motorhome build, to make it inconvenient for more than 2 adults to overnight. Also considerable time and funds will go into a well designed weatherproof full headroom cockpit tent. Want a bigger boat invest with vigour in a well designed cockpit tent.

A yacht is not defined by the vessel but by the care and love of her owner--

7. river runner

river runner baker

One of my fantasies has been to own a boat for cruising around the San Juan and Gulf Islands. My vision is two couples moored in a pretty bay, cocktails in the cockpit while the sun sets, then dinner made in the galley, followed by conversation, then going to sleep in berths. A boat designed for two couples seems like it would be ideal.

8. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

HUH !!!!!!!!!!!!! .........soon you will learn about stimulating conversation as youre bent over, cursing , using a wet and dry vac to dislodge short tail bilge rats from heads while in paradise.

Far better to minimize the galley and leave the head choking, conversation provoking, ladies back home for the weekend to cut the grass...

For Paradise trips its far better to grab your trusty shipmate Stubby, a case of cold beer ,a bucket of shrimp...sail out to paradise, drop anchor, throw the shrimp on the stern rail bbq, find a comfortable perch in the cockpit , crack beers , eat those tasty shrimp with your bare hands , tell sea stories and enjoy life.

Go simple when designing your galley...go simple when enjoying life

9. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Thus the cockpit tent-- the home on the water for the visiting couple --with a porta pottie(non clogging) under a flip cover in the far aft section of the cockpit seat level. My access to the deck at night time to check the anchor is the (moonlight and stars deck window) escape hatch directly above my bunk and within arms reach of the main cleat.
    In all seriousness of course I will make it quazi comfortable for another couple but it's rarely i want overnight company and I am serious about the cockpit tent and porta pottie as a backup. --

A yacht is not defined by the vessel but by the care and love of her owner---

10. Yobarnacle

Our boat originally was 25ft, 8.5 ft beam, center cockpit with a 3 sided pilot house over forward third and a small aft cabin with quarter berths extending forward under cockpit seats. I added 5 ft on the stern giving her a canoe stern and a small aft cockpit. I extended the wheelhouse roof as a hardtop over entire center cockpit.Aft cabin was converted to head with companionways fore and aft. Quarter berths under seats became much needed lockers.2 could sleep on cockpit seats as they are roofed over. Head is available to all. Maybe not an ideal arrangement, but it works for 2, and could sleep 4 in a pinch.

11. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Serious modifications -- good for you-- do you have any photos of the work in progress and the completed project--If so would be very interested in seeing such maybe on the boatbuilding thread- or on my build in progress thread (The Nancy G ---- ) or PM to me. Tnx. Geo.
    In keeping with the treads topic, galleys I remind members I have 2 sets of gimbles available on the marketplace thread :) Geo.

12. Boston

Boston Previous Member

yah none of the ladies in my life would be, or would have been, a good choice for extended trips to the inside passage. I'd be more inclined to take a fishing buddy or two and let the girl aim in her own direction. If she's still around when I get back then it was meant to be :D

No where to dye her hair, yes that would be a problem. No nightclub, another big issue. No sleeping in till 2 or 3 PM after a rough night on the town, definitely a problem. That and if she drives a boat anything like she drives a car, we're doomed.

Pick a friend or two who travel well and know how to camp. Maybe I'll find that miracle girl who actually likes the wilderness but I've guided for a long time and the "I want to go cause I know you want me to" attitude wears off pretty damn fast in adverse situations.

13. Yobarnacle

My boat needs painting, but I'm waiting till I'm all done modifying and then paint her once. I have some photos of work in progress, but don't want to post untill I can provide a before, during, and after.It's a bit embarassing everytime I launch her in her present state of patches and sanded areas. But I need to test modifications as I go and we enjoy being aboard even if she looks rough.I really feel inhibited about posting pix of her.

14. Yobarnacle

To Boston:
    I wouldn't presume to advise you or anyone about women. The thought occurs if she or they (multiple girlfriends) like partying all night and sleeping all day, you probably met them in a club doing just that. What's the old country western tune about looking for love in a honky tonk?

15. Boston

Boston Previous Member

LMAO
    I moonlighted as a bouncer for years, I'm pretty sure every girl I ever dated I found in a night club. Its kinda inevitable.