Where did we go wrong?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Willallison, Nov 29, 2011.

1. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

We often lament omongst ourselves the lack of a market for sensible, efficient powerboats... the kind we all sketch in the hope that some day someone will come along and ask for one.
    The idea of the old "sleeps 2, dines 4, entertains 6" has always seemed like a pretty good general guide to me. But it would seem that we have all truly missed the boat... I came across this brochure for a 44 footer that perhaps redefines the old maxum. For this is a boat that sleeps 5, entertains at least 6 or 8, but dines...well... zero.....
    Yep - a 44 footer without a galley... and (apart from the cocktail affair in the cockpit) no dining table either..... Perhaps I didn't look hard enough and they are just very well hidden...

2. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

Spend nights at a marina or yacht club, eat ashore. Different lifestyle.

Interesting that an arrangement plan is not included.

3. Willallison

Layout is here... well hidden on the web page.

Yes... I know it's becoming increasingly rare for people to spend a night "on the hook". I rarely do otherwise....
    And sure... horse for courses... but really... no galley at all...?

4. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

No galley, no problem.... on my Seawind 24 cat a pair of $19.95 gas canister stoves from Big W & a plastic bucket(98c) for washing up... all set for under 50 bucks!

5. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

Will, I think that this is just an example of another way of using a boat. A Med-style marina living and occasional hopping to a nearby beach. Or, living in a villa (or apartment) in a seaside town and using the boat for half-day trips to an island beach. Many tourists and some locals in Italy and Croatia (I see that it's a Croatian boatbuilder) use their boats in that way, a galley is unnecessary. The only necessary thing is a good fridge with a sufficient volume for drinks, fresh water and food bought in a shop/bar or cooked at home prior to departure. Nothing wrong with it, just another type of boating lifestyle. I personally have never used a galley on a boat, just a kitchen sink to wash my hands, fruits and cutlery.

The main question is: who will use a boat? What is the profile of the targeted buyer? This boat imho gives one possible answer, and I can see a sense in it.
    Of course, the ultimate proof of the concept will be the market.

Cheers!

6. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Last year in the Med...157 days, 13000 miles with guests, we cooked in the galley a half dozen times. In the Med there is a taverna in every bay. Part of the charm of each day is putting the sails away, grabbing a shower, then cruising into the village for a grilled fish , bottles of wine and sea stories. Its foolish to waste people space and compromise a smaller yacht with a full galley when cruising in the Med. Far better to use precious interior space for bigger showers, heads and shady, cool areas for chilling out and reading a book.

7. daiquiri

Precisely.

8. Willallison

Don't get me wrong... this wasn't intended as a criticism of the builder or designer - clearly they are catering to a market... and one which you have indicated is not only existent, but maybe even prevalent.
    I too have done cruising like this and it's great fun... but sorry... there's simply no substitute for "the real thing";). The solitude and independance of getting away from the constant hum of society... I'll take a quiet glass of wine with a meal of freshly caught (by self) lobster on the aft deck any day over a busy little taverna.....:)

Attached Files:

9. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

Sounds terrific, gotta get there & do that.

10. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

Good points there, hope the builders do well with it, these are the style of boats that share the wealth, factoring spread of profit & wages paid & the inevitable depreciation:cool:

11. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

Nice pic Will, where is that?

Jeff.

12. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

When cruising in high temperature areas , cooking and eating in a saloon puts great demand on house services. Evacuating all the heat trapped in the superstructure from a day burning in the sun, all the heat from cooking and the heat of humans condemns you to a life of 24 hr per day generators and air con. So much for peaceful idyllic bays. Many times I think both designers and clients miss this obvious detail.

13. Willallison

Mt.Rugby, Bathurst Harbour, SW Tasmania...

14. daiquiri

Oh, I do agree with your way of enjoying your free time. I like same things, but the galley is not always necessary for accomplishing the task. A lonely beach, a small barbecue grill, some dried wood found around and you can have a marvellous dinner while fully enjoying the nature. The important thing is to choose the appropriate place, secure the fire bed and to clean up everything before you leave, but even that is 10 times more pleasant than having to clean and degrease the galley, and to be left with a smelly cabin anyways. ;)
    Cheers!

15. Willallison

Yes... but what happens when it rains?