slight perforation of the hull

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by pasty63, Aug 23, 2008.

1. pasty63

pasty63 Junior Member

While digging out some rotten bulkhead material, I stuffed the end of my sawzall blade through the bottom of the hull :p . The cut is about 3/4" long and 3/32" wide. I'm planning to fix it about the same as a blister - any pointers?

Thanks - .b

2. ondarvr

ondarvr Senior Member

It's not a big deal. It sounds like you'll be doing some glass work on the inside of the boat, so just cover it from the inside when doing that work.
    If you know how to repair a blister, then do it that way on the outside and it'll be repaired with no future issues.

3. mongo75

mongo75 Senior Member

Just grind a bevel on both side with at least a 1/4" opening along the cut line (to allow the epoxy to touch) and then just glass it closed. For the bottom, you can prefab the patch on some plastic wrap or wax paper and once soaked with epoxy just slap it on and tape it tight to the hull, or even wedge it up with a block to keep it from drooping.

4. pasty63

pasty63 Junior Member

slight hull perforation

What makes this perforation more interesting than some:rolleyes: , is that it is less than 1/2" from the bottom of an engine stringer - and slightly to port. From the inside, its in a 4" by 1/2" slot created by rotting plywood that forms part of the engine room bulk head - and separates the engine stringers from the longitudinal 2x6's running forward. I can get to it from the top as long as I'm reaching with something > 4" long and < 1/2" wide - but I think effecting the patch from outside will be easier.

Thanks for the input - this is a fun site.

5. mongo75

mongo75 Senior Member

As long as you use epoxy, you'll be fine. Just but a good bevel on the outside and it'll hold great, the inside would just be to kinda lock the patch in place.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.